FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Ok... I have an odd pullet question. Maybe. 

I already posted it earlier in the OEGB thread, but there isn't much going on there, so I thought I'd ask here. 

One of my Spangled OEGB pullets, approx 10-11 weeks old, is acting very much like a little stinker of a cockerel. When I go to pick her up she pecks, chest bumps my hand, and will even kick with her feet. She doesn't try to flee, just acts aggressive. She is the smallest of the pullets. Now, one of the little cockerels, the one who started looking mature the earliest, will fuss and peck once or twice when I pick him up, but not even he is as bad as she is. 

None of the OEGB hens I've had in the past were like this. They were super sweet and friendly, unless broody- then watch out, if a bit flighty... which is fine IMO since I always free ranged them. 

Any one have this sort of experience with a pullet, and do you think she will settle down once she matures a bit more? It's not like she is going to do any damage or hurt me, but I'm very curious about her extremely male behavior. 

I have a splash orpington, acts the same way. Staring to get red faced and comb looks different than other orpingtons I've had.Also pecks my ankles. Really poor feather development too, so I'm having a tough time with sexing mine too. She is the one in the lower right corner. I'd love to see what others have to say. Good post!

Quote:
If she is a he and starts crowing, are cockerels allowed where you live? If not, do you have a garage or some out building you could put them in? If she turns out to be a he maybe talk your neighbors and hubby and tell them your plans and that this is going to be a temporary situation and hopefully you have some place to put the group so he won't bother anyone when he does crow. I have a lot of males and for the most part they do crow in the morning but not much during the day unless they see us and then it's just to get attention in hopes we will give them some treats. Also if you have no other males there may be no problems, several males do sometimes do some crowing competitions but mostly for treats here.

No, we can't have roos. I dont think my neighbors would have a problem, but a second roo in the neighnorhood may test their patience. There's someone with a rooster nearby and he crows near constantly, so I'm afraid of loosing my permissions due to complaints regarding their rooster.

I just can't understand people that don't enjoy hearing a rooster crow. When I go out to do chores in the morning I hear those calls coming from 5 different directions and it just makes me happy.

I just can't understand people that don't enjoy hearing a rooster crow. When I go out to do chores in the morning I hear those calls coming from 5 different directions and it just makes me happy.
A lot of retired people in Florida have no life (I am a retired person).... we have allowed government to control our every move ..... every time I hear of neighborhoods where you cannot have chickens I think of the poster put out in WWI. We are detached from our food supply from the land, we are dependent. As this government has said, we don't know what is good for us (healthcare) so they are here to tell us.

I have 15 roosters I have been rehoming. Some will go to homes for breeding purposes, some will go to homes to be eaten. Of course, I prefer that their lives continue but I understand too that they are food. In this modern world we don't have to eat our pets, we can go to the grocery store. Eating a chicken is not disrespectful. Some would say taking their lives and not eating them is disrespectful.
I agree. A lot of cockerels in hatches this year. I can not keep all, but all went on to a greater purpose as breeders or as nourishment for another. I can and do some butchering here but I knew others that were ready for the roosters b4 I was ready to butcher. win-win for all.

No, we can't have roos. I dont think my neighbors would have a problem, but a second roo in the neighnorhood may test their patience. There's someone with a rooster nearby and he crows near constantly, so I'm afraid of loosing my permissions due to complaints regarding their rooster.

He isn't a rooster until he is a year old, until then he is a cockerel. Maybe you can find him a home and when you ready to put him with your girls either take the girls to him or as I said in a previous post bring him to your place but keep him in a garage or some type of building so his crows will be muffled and just let your neighbors know it will be a temporary situation. It will be quite awhile before he starts to crow from the picture you posted earlier. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom