Flowers that are ok for ducks to eat....

Old post, with some wonderful information. I was wondering about the honeysuckle:)
Here's more:

Non-Toxic Foliage

Foliage non-toxic for birds:
ACACIA
ALOE
AFRICAN VIOLET
BABY'S TEARS
BAMBOO
BEGONIA
BOSTON FERN
BOUGAINVILLEA
CHICKWEED
CHRISTMAS CACTUS
CISSUS (KANGAROO VINE)
COLEUS
CORN PLANT
CRABAPPLE
DANDELION
DOGWOOD
DONKEY TAIL
DRACAENA VARIETIES
FERNS: (BIRD'S NEST, BOSTON, MAIDENHAIR)
FIGS: (CREEPING, RUBBER, FIDDLE LEAF, LAUREL LEAF)
GARDENIA
GRAPE IVY
HEN AND CHICKENS
IMPATIENS
JADE PLANT
KALANCHOE
MAGNOLIA
MARIGOLDS
MONKEY PLANT
MOTHER-IN-LAW (Are we sure?)
NASTURTIUM
NATAL PLUM
NORFOLK ISLAND PINE
ORCHIDS
PALMS: (ARECA, DATE, FAN, LADY, PARLOUR, HOWEIA, KENTIA, PHOWNIX, SAGO)
PEPPEROMIA
PETUNIA
PITTOSPORUM
PRAYER PLANT
PURPLE PASSION
ROSE
ROSEMARY
RUBBER PLANT
SCHEFFLERA
SENSITIVE PLANT
SNAKE PLANT
SPIDER PLANT
SWEDISH IVY
THISTLE
VELVET NETTLE
WANDERING JEW
WAX PLANT
WHITE CLOVER
YUCCA
ZEBRA PLANT
ZINNIA

Toxic Plants

Plants toxic for birds:
ARUM LILY
AMARYLLIS
ARALIA
ARROWHEAD VINE
AUTUMN CROCUS
AUSTRALIAN FLAMETREE
AUSTRALIAN UMBRELLA TREE
AVOCADO
AZALEA
BANEBERRY
BEANS: (CASTOR, HORSE, FAVA, BROAD, GLORY, SCARLET RUNNER, MESCAL, NAVY, PREGATORY
BABY'S BREATH
BIRD OF PARADISE
BISHOP'S WEED
BLACK LAUREL
BLACK LOCUST
BLEEDING HEART OR DUTCHMAN'S BREECHES
BLOODROOT
BLUEBONNET
BLUEGREEN ALGAE
BOXWOOD
BRACKEN FERN
BUCKTHORN
BULB FLOWERS:(AMARYLLIS, DAFFODIL, NARCISSUS, HYACINTH & IRIS)
BURDOCK
BUTTERCUP
CACAO
CAMEL BUSH
CASTOR BEAN
CALADIUM
CANA LILY
CARDINAL FLOWER
CHALICE (TRUMPET VINE)
CHERRY TREE
CHINA BERRY TREE
CHRISTMAS CANDLE
CLEMATIS (VIRGINIA BOWER)
CLIVIA
COCKLEBUR
COFFEE (SENNA)
COFFEE BEAN (RATTLEBUSH, RATTLE BOX & COFFEEWEED)
CORAL PLANT
CORIANDER
CORNCOCKLE
COYOTILLO
COWSLIP
CUTLEAF PHILODENDRON
DAFFODIL
DAPHNE
DATURA STRAMONIUM (ANGEL'S TRUMPET)
DEATH CAMUS
DELPHINIUM
DEVIL'S IVY
DIEFFENBACHIA (DUMB CANE)
EGGPLANT leaves
ELDERBERRY
ELEPHANT EAR (TARO)
ENGLISH IVY
ERGOT
EUCALYPTUS (DRIED, DYED OR TREATED IN FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS)
EUONYMUS (SPINDLE TREE)
EUPHORBIA CACTUS
FALSE HELLEBORE
FLAME TREE
FELT PLANT (MATERNITY, AIR & PANDA PLANTS)
FIG (WEEPING)
FIRE THORN
FLAMINGO FLOWER
FOUR O'CLOCK
FOXGLOVE
GYPSOPHILA PANICULATA - Sap of plant
GLOTTIDIUM
GOLDEN CHAIN
GRASS: (JOHNSON, SORGHUM, SUDAN & BROOM CORN)
GROUND CHERRY
HEATHS: (KALMIA, LEUCOTHO, PEIRES, RHODODENDRON, MTN. LAUREL, BLACK LAUREL, ANDROMEDA & AZALEA)
HELIOTROPE
HEMLOCK: (POISON & WATER)
HENBANE
HOLLY
HONEYSUCKLE
HORSE CHESTNUT
HORSE TAIL
HOYA
HYACINTH
HYDRANGEA
IRIS
IVY: (ENGLISH & OTHERS)
JACK-IN-THE-PULPIT
JASMINE (JESSAMINE)
JERUSALEM CHERRY
JIMSONWEED
JUNIPER
KY. COFFEE TREE
LANTANA (RED SAGE)
LARKSPUR
LILY OF THE VALLEY
LILY, ARUM
LOBELIA
LOCOWEED (MILK VETCH)
LOCUSTS, BLACK/HONEY
LORDS & LADIES (CUCKOOPINT)
LUPINE
MALANGA
MARIJUANA (HEMP)
MAYAPPLE(MANDRAKE)
MEXICAN BREADFRUIT
MEXICAN POPPY
MILKWEED, COTTON BUSH
MISTLETOE
MOCK ORANGE
MONKSHOOD
MOONSEED
MORNING GLORY
MTN. LAUREL
MUSHROOMS, AMANITA
MYRTLE
NARCISSUS
NETTLES
NIGHTSHADES: (DEADLY, BLACK, GARDEN, WOODY, BITTERSWEET, EGGPLANT leaves, TOMATO -stems, vines, and leaves,JERUSALEM CHERRY)
OAK
OLEANDER
OXALIS
PARSLEY
PEACE LILY
PERIWINKLE
PHILODENDRONS: (SPLIT LEAF, SWISS CHEESE, HEART-LEAF)
PIGWEED
POINCIANA
POINSETTIA
POISON IVY
POISON HEMLOCK
POISON OAK: (WESTERN & EASTERN)
POKEWEED
POTATO SHOOTS
POTHOS
PRIVET
PYRACANTHA
RAIN TREE
RANUNCULUS, BUTTERCUP
RAPE
RATTLEBOX, CROTALARIA
RED MAPLE
RED SAGE (LANTANA)
RHUBARB LEAVES
RHODODENDRONS
ROSARY PEA SEEDS
SAND BOX TREE
SKUNK CABBAGE
SORREL (DOCK)
SNOW DROP
SPURGES: (PENCIL TREE, SNOW-ON-MTN, CANDELABRA, CROWN OF THORNS)
STAR OF BETHLEHEM
SWEET PEA
SWISS CHEESE PLANT (MONSTERA)
TANSY RAGWORT
TOBACCO
UMBRELLA PLANT
VETCH: HAIRY/COMMON
VIRGINIA CREEPER
WATTLE
WEEPING FIG
WHITE CEDAR, CHINA BERRY
WISTERIA
YEWS
YELLOW JASMINE

-Kathy

Gladiolas- my ducks ignore.
Freesias-They lightly nibbled the leaves of the Freesias when they sprouted than largly ignored them. Trampled them.
Geraniums
Annual or zonal geraniums in pots- Ducks ate what they could reach.
Perennial Geranium or bloody cranesbill- Ignored
Scented Geraniums- Ignored.

Flowers they Love.
Borage- Pretty bright blue flowers and fuzzy leaves that are edible. Taste like cucumber and are great tomato plant companions. Easy to grow from seed.
Johnny jump ups- edible, easy from seed.
Dianthus- they graze on this in spurts.
Banana Trees- The fruiting kind, whole plant is edible. My ducks to love chow on leaves and stalks when we trim it back. They also eat the flowers that drop. I love these for fast growing shade. Plus you get Bananas! Try the inner stalk in soup or stir fry. Wrap fish and rice in leaves and steam.
Gogi berries- They will eat what they can reach, its a vine, so anything above duck zone safe.
Blueberries- whole darn bush tastes great to ducks!
Sweet violets- edible, only one duck likes these and only the one plant in its favorite shady hiding spot.
Iceburg roses- the flowers
Zinnias- When they are small and tender.
Not flowers but decorative in borders and all time favorites
Lettuce
Beets
Chard
Kale
Cabbage

Last edited:
Thanks you guys :) Aweh shucks seems honeysuckle is on the no.go.list :( I've been wanting to move these honeysuckle vines and thought it would be great cascading over the coop for nice shade and hiding spots. Guess I'll have to.figure something else out

Maybe try Nasturtiums (climbing), Green beans, Cucumbers, Melon, Squash or Peas (not sweet pea ornamental)on the coop. Save some garden space and the chickens could help with pest control. Grapes, thornless Blackberries, Raspberry, or Goji might work also. Passion fruit vine is very showy and I bet the chickens would eat the fruit. Its too slimy and seedy for me. "shivers"

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, preparing for a chicken/duck venture in Colorado in the next few months. I've learned so much here at BYC. I've read one of Lisa Steele's books and she and others rave about comfrey. They say you can substantially cut your feed costs because of its high content of protein and other essential nutrients. They claim that given a choice of comfrey and almost any other food, the birds will go for the comfrey. It has the added benefit of being extremely easy to grow. It grows wild in many areas. My first post. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Comfrey is on my buy list of plants. I'm waiting till the temperture here stops jumping up into 100s. I'd be very interested in how your comfrey worked out.

This is such and awesome article, by Lisa Steele, if you want some beautiful landscaping ideas to go along with your birds. It's about ducks, specifically, but I looked up most of the plants and they work fine for chickens as well. Ducks are very hard to landscape for because they eat just about everything in sight. On the bright side, they don't scratch the ground the way chickens do.

http://www.hgtvgardens.com/ducks-an...ful-landscaping-and-birds-can-go-hand-in-hand

I did want to add that I've grown herbs and flowers for years and many people don't know just how many of the flowers they grow are edible, or that many of the most popular, are herbs. There is no shortage of gorgeous flowers that double as really, really healthy food and medicine, for you and your birds. Planting these, and making them a regular part of your birds' diet will not only lower your feed costs, but keeps them really healthy, stimulates laying; makes their yolks more yellow, and keeps their coop smelling fresh and lovely. Herbs also work as organic pesticides and repel rodents and snakes. To put another cherry on the sundae, they are generally remarkably easy to grow. Most thrive in a variety of soils and are hardy in drought and drink, sun and shade. If they become invasive, release the ducks! Good reason to include a couple in your flock.

Two terrific articles:

http://www.hgtvgardens.com/ducks-an...ful-landscaping-and-birds-can-go-hand-in-hand
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/05/herbs-and-their-uses-for-your-chickens.html

Can anyone confirm that passionflower is ok for ducks? I want to start putting passionflower tea in their water to help with anxiety. Also any other herbs/flowers that are ok for them to help with anxiety? I have catmint and lemon balm...

Back
Top Bottom