So this morning I let out the feathered kids. It is in the low thirties today. I was triumphant that I got them through this cold. Until I saw Oreo come out … it appears like he might have frostbite on his comb, but it could be dirt too. How does one tell, if you cant touch it!?! Why would it show up now after the worst of the cold is over? He is acting normally, even trying to wing dance the girls. Eating well drinking well. Waddles look perfect. I know a picture would be great and I will get one in the morning but I have been running around all day trying to think of things to do. I gave him crushed baby aspirin 25mg/lb gave him warm mash, and put some nutradrench in the main waterer in the coop. I have not touched it and I have not put anything on it either. Should I try and dab some blue kote or vetermyican on it?
Leave be. Frostbite is painful to touch. Only put something on if it's bleeding or infected. Otherwise let it alone.

It is indeed black, it looked perfect yesterday today I see a black spot on one side of his comb and down closer by his head. It could be dirt and I am in a tizzy over nothing but everybody says do not touch it. I know it must hurt like crazy, aspirin was my first thought having read here it was safe.
Close to the head is unlikely to be frostbite. Is it possible he got fresh with one of the girls and she pecked him?

I did not know that. Plumbers came. I have running water (from the faucets not the ceiling).
Yay!
Awesome!!!!

I feel for you, I had a long distance plumbing issue today. We have a storage unit in the city near our old house, they had a leak of some sorts. Communication was initially “there’s water coming out of your unit you have to open it”. I was sending my Dad to go so they could cut the lock, but they refused. Several abrupt phone calls later… no person to cut a lock until tomorrow, paperwork, “it’s in the hallway, we don’t really know…”. This is after my Husband has left work here, I did a 2km forced hike with the 3 goats to bring him the backup key, and several hundred dollars in ferries has happened. Not to mention a challenging drive home with three goats in nasty mud and a torrential downpour (which started halfway through the walk down). It was Ciaran’s very first car ride. Jimmy’s first not crated trip… and I was stuck driving and managing all three.

DH got to the locker… and it FINE. The water didn’t even leak in from the hallway and was most certainly not coming out of our unit. He will have a “discussion” with the manager tomorrow when they are back in, as the ferry arrived well after the office hours at the storage place ended. The communication provided initially led us to believe that we had a situation like yours. Picturing water pouring out of the overhead plumbing/fire suppression… considering most of what we have stored there is books (lots and lots of books….) and antiques/family heirlooms, art, and old irreplaceable photos, we wanted to keep safe and dry… so relieved and angry at the same time (not to even mention the overall cost of storage since summer of 2017)

The chickens ha e mostly had the good sense to stay in recently… please accept a goat tax picture instead! They did SO great on walking down, through three feral herds and the pack of farm dogs outside the slaughterhouse.
6EBF21E3-1A5E-4551-811E-D689C3167E14.jpeg

Ciaran’s first “snow”

It is indeed black, it looked perfect yesterday today I see a black spot on one side of his comb and down closer by his head. It could be dirt and I am in a tizzy over nothing but everybody says do not touch it. I know it must hurt like crazy, aspirin was my first thought having read here it was safe.
Pics please… the tips of the comb will go first generally. Yes, I finally ended up with frostbite experience last year… Dean lost several comb tips he was standing “guard” out in -5c with -20 or lower windchill for who knows how long before I noticed and manually relocated his girls (hiding from the blizzard) and him back into the coop… and Mr Marans got some as well (I think the metal roofing, condensation, and roost placement was the problem there).

As @Ponypoor points out it was fine until some of Dean’s girls pecked at it many weeks later, it bled like crazy, so I brought him in, which led to several other rooster/flock politics issues. Also frostbitten areas are more prone to subsequent cold damage. The area around where Dean lost the parts of his comb to frostbite last year bled again this year in our far less intense cold snap. We tend to get very wet cold weather here.

Back
Top Bottom