The chickens are on lockdown at DVC. I heard coyote calls in the bushes not to far away from my yard this morning. They will have to stay inside for a while...

BFTP Tax:
1000005303.jpg

"Gotta stay inside!"

Some Sad News Regarding Phyllis (at least Phyllis thinks so)

As we have been celebrating some significant Hatchdays around these parts, it should be apparent to everyone that the tribe is starting to age a little. Most times in hens you really can't tell as they may slow down a little but they look like they have always. Except for poor Phyllis.

Phyllis is turning grey.

You can see it on the tips of her feathers. Check out these close ups from today's fluffy bun photos and look closely.

View attachment 3744143View attachment 3744144

I have noticed before that the feathers on her head would whiten as the year went on but I really couldn't prove it. There are so many and they move about so much. But these tips turning white are undeniable.

What is disturbing Phyllis the most is that there is no real feather dye for chickens. Sadly for her, she is going to have to wear the proof of her age proudly.

For those who don't know Phyllis will be 5 in October so she's about 4.5 years old right now.
Chickens can start graying?! I have two 7 year old hens who you would be able to notice them turning gray....
1000006077.jpg

1000005016.jpg

And I don’t see that happening on them!

Back
Top Bottom