At this point I am a lot less worried about her losing the top spot. Not with that anger. Yikes!
I have one like that, and oh yes, she is top hen. The first time I allowed one of the cockerels in to the hen pen, she ran across a run, jumped through a little chicken gate, and right up to him for a good fight! I had to rescue the cockerel. She is more accepting now, but the cockerels are still too wild to leave them in for any length of time.

Some Observations from Today

Phyllis can really fly. 5 feet straight up to the roof. I was shocked.

Phyllis is definately not afraid of humans. I picked her up 3 times today by putting my hand in front of her and she stepped right on it.

Phyllis is also pretty smart. She knew where to roost tonight. 3 times she came back out and tried to get the others to follow her to the roost. They never did. :th

View attachment 2023623View attachment 2023625
View attachment 2023632

Aurora and Phyllis met across three wire today. No flaring, no squawking, a quick look and then on their ways.

View attachment 2023634

Sydney has herself some neck. Sometimes it's not there.......
View attachment 2023639

Other times, lots of neck!

View attachment 2023640
View attachment 2023642
View attachment 2023643

I’m a bit biased towards your Barred Rock. :love

This is exactly like what Sammy did when the owl attacked in the barn! Pretty much completely covering two of his hens with himself... Good Roosters are awesome. Granted they don’t fit with everyone’s keeping arrangements, and I understand that; But I am so glad I have mine, even when they are being little jerks!
I am so glad some take the time to explain roosters to us. Frankly it's the only reason my four roo's {wanted 4 hens - Thanks Tractor S :( } are still around (that and I'm too ? to do it). Chickie Hawk's story has caused me to wait and see how they turn out. When their hormones kicked in and they turned nuts I was soo ready to cook them LOL ..

Those are European Chaffer Beetle Larvae, or something very similar. They are a destructive invasive species here, but treatable with a product (expensive) that you apply to the ground then water in. It’s actually a nematode that attacks and kills this particular larvae and is safe for pets etc, after it has been thoroughly watered into the soil, usually in early June, if I recall correctly, to break the insect’s life cycle. My father was a lawn and gardener maintenance employee through to upper management for BC housing for 30+ years. To explain my somewhat random “kill it with fire (nematodes actually)” reaction.
Are the nematodes safe to use around chickens ? Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom