I'm sorry to have brought up that bad memory. :(
I've known over 100 chickens most of which are now dead. I don't have a single bad memory of any of them.
I like to remember them.
It often seems to me that people take some kind of affront when death takes one of their chickens. It's like something has stolen something they own and not only do they grieve for the loss but also suffer from some kind of damage to their pride that they were unable to thwart death. It's that view of owning that life and being deprived of it that makes looking after other creatures so diffficult.
I don't understand all the sorry for your loss messages and the reluctance of some people to even utter the phrase that someone died. It's always "passed on" or some other expression that avoids the reality of death.
Lock was lovely. I was lucky to know her. She was never mine,or anyone elses.
Lock belonged to Lock and she lived with her family who it seems cared for her despite her gender differences in a manner many humans could learn from.

I've known over 100 chickens most of which are now dead. I don't have a single bad memory of any of them.
I like to remember them.
It often seems to me that people take some kind of affront when death takes one of their chickens. It's like something has stolen something they own and not only do they grieve for the loss but also suffer from some kind of damage to their pride that they were unable to thwart death. It's that view of owning that life and being deprived of it that makes looking after other creatures so diffficult.
I don't understand all the sorry for your loss messages and the reluctance of some people to even utter the phrase that someone died. It's always "passed on" or some other expression that avoids the reality of death.
Lock belonged to Lock and she lived with her family who it seems cared for her despite her gender differences in a manner many humans could learn from.
I think the complication for many of us (but not for you given the circumstances of your tribes) is guilt.
We see ways in which we believe we failed the chicken from our ignorance or thoughtlessness, or from keeping the chicken in a certain way.
When Posh was taken by a fox I felt terrible because I felt I had failed in my duty of care to her. I had tried to protect her but I missed a tiny spot she managed to get through and it took me a while to get over that.
When Elizabeth died more recently I felt sad for myself because I liked Elizabeth and she was good company. I felt anger at the whole chicken breeding industry to breed an ISA Brown that was so subject to reproductive issues. But I did not feel guilt. She had a good (albeit short) life with me and a rapid and natural death in amongst the members of her tribe.
Although much more recent, her death weighs less on me than does the death of Posh much longer ago.

She aspires to be a runway model like BY Bob’s Phyllis.
Apologies for the repeat post but here is a recent glamour shot from her portfolio. View attachment 2942676
It certainly is very glamorous. ❤️

How did you get such beautiful lighting?

Confess now RC. That's a professional photo shoot isn't it? 😁

My apologies to everyone. My house is full of family right now. It is hard for me to find slone time to post much on the tribe.

Sansa's anitbiotic is up. Unfortunately I am seeing no change outside of the weight gain. Her feathers are as ratty as before. She will return to the vet in 2 weeks for more labs. Having handled her more in the last month than ever before in her entire life she still doesn't run from me on site as I was concerned. On cold nights her feet are very cold when I take her from the roost. She has no feathers to tuck around them. I think this might be the biggest concern moving forward as we enter the depth of winter. She seems to have enough fluff to keep her body warm down to below freezing as I have observed no shivering so far but her feet might be a problem.

No one is roosting with Phyllis, she still roosts alone. Roosting in the main coop seems calm. Aurora is still running this lot. I believe that Hattie has accepted her position for now. Hattie is still the most frightened (or cautious) of them all. She really does not like to leave the complex.
Enjoy your family time Bob. We'll still be here when you come back. (Can you imagine trying to get rid of us? ha! 😂)

I think the complication for many of us (but not for you given the circumstances of your tribes) is guilt.
We see ways in which we believe we failed the chicken from our ignorance or thoughtlessness, or from keeping the chicken in a certain way.
When Posh was taken by a fox I felt terrible because I felt I had failed in my duty of care to her. I had tried to protect her but I missed a tiny spot she managed to get through and it took me a while to get over that.
When Elizabeth died more recently I felt sad for myself because I liked Elizabeth and she was good company. I felt anger at the whole chicken breeding industry to breed an ISA Brown that was so subject to reproductive issues. But I did not feel guilt. She had a good (albeit short) life with me and a rapid and natural death in amongst the members of her tribe.
Although much more recent, her death weighs less on me than does the death of Posh much longer ago.
I miss many of the chickens that I've known but all around us other creatures around us are dying and we don't grieve for them it seems. There is something about the percieved ownership of a creature that makes a difference to our viiew of death is my belief.
As I've said before I've never bought or sold a living creature and my ideal relationship with chickens would be somethinng like cfonts and others in similar circumstances where a chicken or other creature chooses to live with me for whatever period of time.
I has somethinng close to that in Catalonia and other people who cared for chickens there had similar relationships with the chickens that lived with them.
What I have felt guilty about is not doing what's best for another creature to avoid discomfort for myself.

I like to remember them.
Lock was such an interesting chook.
I find all your chook observations interesting and educational Shad. You and BYBob and the others on this thread have really changed how I look at and manage my chickens. It's an ongoing and entertaining education.

I miss many of the chickens that I've known but all around us other creatures around us are dying and we don't grieve for them it seems. There is something about the percieved ownership of a creature that makes a difference to our viiew of death is my belief.
As I've said before I've never bought or sold a living creature and my ideal relationship with chickens would be somethinng like cfonts and others in similar circumstances where a chicken or other creature chooses to live with me for whatever period of time.
I has somethinng close to that in Catalonia and other people who cared for chickens there had similar relationships with the chickens that lived with them.
What I have felt guilty about is not doing what's best for another creature to avoid discomfort for myself.
I don't know about "ownership" as such. I think RC had a good point about the feeling of responsibility we have towards the creatures in our care.

For me, when one of "my" animals die, it is more thinking that I will miss them and if there is more I could have done for them. :confused:

I must owe some chicken tax by now

Edwina has found something interesting
PXL_20211212_054630610.jpg

Also, for those interested in succulents, my little succulent garden is flowering!
PXL_20211212_062930784.MP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom