They don't die if they can forage for what they believe they need. If they can't then yes, you may have to help them by providing foodstuffs that they will eat.
Unfortunately she refused to go outside, when she did she just stuck by the waterer, poor wee gal.

Took stool samples to the Vet came back clear for parasites, etc 😕 Vet suggested she was going through a heavy molt, she lost almost all her feathers, holy cow 😞 and of course here it gets cold at night in the autumn, she was cold and miserable. After consulting here on BYC it was suggested I coddle her, within a couple days she perked up, but refused to eat regular food go outside or hang with the others.

Sometimes you just have to go with what you see with signs and symptoms and treat that way; poor Sophia lost so much weight from this I am fairly certain she would have 'caught' something from the stress of it which would have done her in. I can afford to spend the time babying the few chookies I have. A larger flock keeper would have likely just cut their loses....

Now she is back to her sassy glossy self squabbling and making a break for the paddocks with the others when I turn my back 😁 brats hahaha!

I'm starting another fermented feed today
Alex try that my friend.

Fermented feed.
I don't know if what I have read is accurate information but within 12 hours it's supposed to begin to ferment.
My problem was after a couple of days it started too attract files, so I'm trying to make fresh every 48 hours from now on instead of keep on adding to the layers
We have a third street rescue mission in town, and I think most of the people there have been fermented, in one way or the other. !:oops: Yes, I’m kinda in a bad mood.

Last edited:
Why didn't you let her stay with her friends if that is where she wanted to be?
I don’t know, Shad. I should have let her stay out there her last night, but she had been self-isolating for a couple days and I thought it was too cold for a very sick bird. Another regret of mine.

Also, it was still on the early side. All her friends were still out in the run, not in the coop. I thought she was going in there for warmth.

Last edited:
Hey Bob I wonder if a heart attack, animals get them too.

So many awesome ladies dying (including Betty White!). I am glad now I completed my Golden girls with Rose and Dorothy 🤗.

Ok well anytime u need an ear to bend I am willing to listen ( ya know I am up half the nights too hahaha).
Such a nice offer. Thank you so much.

Oh no Bob. I'm so sorry! What a shock for you.
If it's any consolation, I always think that these sorts of deaths, for any creature including people, are the best. No suffering, you just go to sleep and don't wake up. My Grandfather passed that way 40 years ago. A shock for us but good for him.

All the hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs
Thanks ACM. I'm trying to think this way. If wasn't going to be able to fix her feather situation it was going to be a long cold winter for her. I was beginning to consider long term heating solutions for her and what to do to keep her comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom