Our weather is horribly cold. Got to 12F with windchills about -5F last night. Even with heat tape/insulation in the pipes, and heat in every area possible we still don’t have water in the trailer this morning. It is frozen somewhere.

The chicks seemed ok on camera last night, just snuggled a little closer than usual in the roost. I didn’t get a chance to check them this morning because we had to leave at 4 am (hubby is on call and the weather had a store with all the refrigeration down). Hopefully their heated waterer is working. On camera I see three in the nest boxes and the rest walking around. I added some PDZ and almost a full bag of shavings yesterday to try to make sure things were dry.

Coop cam pic of chickens in nest box,
FD414053-A0BB-4ECB-A86A-F83F78074F5A.png

Put some heat in the coop temps and wind chills are dropping every hour. I fed them and put extra shavings in the coop. Need to get them some warm water and put some card board in for insulation. If you need cardboard. The post office will send out boxes and envelopes for free and deliver it to your house. I stocked up lol.

Snow is falling so you know what that means? Oh, and also, the temperature changed for Friday. Instead of marvelous 52 F weather, they're going to give me that 41 F. Oof.
I'm going to enter the Chilly Coop Contest contest again and decorate my coop.

More photos. Again, green font for funny captions.

I look very creepy. My eyes look like fish.
View attachment 3355905
Two fluffy butts at work. Grandma is on the left.
View attachment 3355960
Who's there? I don't have time for such games. I'm busy. Go away.
View attachment 3355961
What is this? Perhaps I should leave it alone.
View attachment 3355962

This cat loves to explore. She found a feather.
View attachment 3355963
The sun is blinding me. But this is my favorite spot.View attachment 3355940
I have a video of her chasing Tony's feather but I forgot to upload it so I'll do that later today.
Update: It stopped snowing but it is now raining and it is 35 F. This will sure be interesting and the weird thing is is that other areas like Shippensburg had a virtual learning day but cities like York didn't get any virtual learning. In fact, most schools closed with no virtual learning and not one area in South Central PA had any schools with a two hour delay.
Good morning GtC ! We have snow today, it’s still mild it’s 32F (0C) so the snow is very wet and heavy.

All this is going to change though and by noon it will be around 18F with high winds. Winter will arrive with vengeance!

I guess the chickies are not going to want outside today, maybe I will go out later on and throw down some old hay and put some poles or boards on them so they can have some interesting things to explore.

29A965CD-52CF-4873-B050-1A89592D7E5D.jpeg

I do too, but have been told they don’t do well in the extreme heat we have in the summer.

The last one I had made me very sick. Fever of 104, chills, etc. But I guess it was worth it since when I did get Covid I mainly had congestion and a severe cough. Without the vaccination I probably would have ended up in the hospital.
Make no mistake, my arm hurt through the night. Ouch!!

Good morning GtC ! We have snow today, it’s still mild it’s 32F (0C) so the snow is very wet and heavy.

All this is going to change though and by noon it will be around 18F with high winds. Winter will arrive with vengeance!

I guess the chickies are not going to want outside today, maybe I will go out later on and throw down some old hay and put some poles or boards on them so they can have some interesting things to explore.

View attachment 3356641
Talk to me about how you covered your run, I tried to zoom in, I can see green looking string,,, what did you put up and do you have a pic showing the top??

I do too, but have been told they don’t do well in the extreme heat we have in the summer.

The last one I had made me very sick. Fever of 104, chills, etc. But I guess it was worth it since when I did get Covid I mainly had congestion and a severe cough. Without the vaccination I probably would have ended up in the hospital.
Feathered feet:
Yes I find Henny Penny has a terrible time with the heat, but then so does Rose and Dorothy… I have to make sure to keep the box fan at full blast on them when they roost at night. Maybe I will get a portable AC unit next summer.

Vax:
I didn’t hardly have any effects with any of the vax for Covid, but the Flu vax…. Oh now that was miserable - my arm, up to my neck into my head just aches for about 3 days. But figure better that then the pneumonia I have had in the past!

If I could I would vax my chickies for bird flu, but alas there is no vax 😢 so I keep them inside during the bird migration.

Question:
What does everyone do with their chickies? Do you vaccinate for different things? My Vet told me backyard flocks here have no availability to any vaccines…

Back
Top Bottom