I will need to put a fan in the Summer House, the chicklets are panting - it’s not overly hot (21C or 70F) but the humidity is very high here, and no breeze.

But they are all flaked out on their roosting ledge
View attachment 3579305
What kind of fan do you use? How big? The one we had was making it hard for the little chooks to breathe apparently. I put it by my toasty mealworms which had to move outside due to the moth issue.

View attachment 3579300
She hatched a couple days before. She also has never crowed as to my knowledge.
14 weeks, well I really dont have any experience with wattles and combs on pullets, I had hoped for some in my chicks but they seem to take after their mums who don’t have big combs and no wattles.?

What kind of fan do you use? How big? The one we had was making it hard for the little chooks to breathe apparently. I put it by my toasty mealworms which had to move outside due to the moth issue.
I use regular box fans that you can get at Walmart. Don’t put them on the ground where dirt and such can get blown around. And I keep it on the lowest setting.

14 weeks, well I really dont have any experience with wattles and combs on pullets, I had hoped for some in my chicks but they seem to take after their mums who don’t have big combs and no wattles.?
She is supposed to be a blue laced red Wyandotte or something. I need to double check that with my sister.
We were supposed to get some White Leghorns like the Greatest Hen Ever and the Black Australop breeds as well but they were out of stock.

Sorry you are going through this.
Let me give you a big hug. :hugs
And I will accept one in return as at the end of a truly crappy day I had to make the difficult decision to euthanize one of my beloved feline family members.
He had a good life - but at only ten years a really short one by cat standards.
I have been bawling my eyes out and now just need to go sleep.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

What is this thing?
I know it's a chicken, but is it another cockerel? And what breed is it?
View attachment 3579252View attachment 3579251
Blue laced red wyandotte cockerel. He's going to be a beauty.

Storm's papa was a BLRW. All his chicks were blue (he was actually splash laced). Her brother (also olive egger mama) turned out red, white, and blue barred. He now runs the flock I got her egg from. Figuring out where the colors came from was my first exploration into chicken genetics.

Last edited:
I’m trying very hard to wait for word from the vet and not descend into total despair about Butters. I don’t know that she has the time to wait on blood results. And I don’t know anything can be done anyway, except to get food into her and see. But the vet said tube feeding her, if her problem is kidneys or liver, might be counterproductive, so I have not. So I’m grieving that she is likely dying. She is weakening. But she still wants to get out and about. Her eyes are half-closed at times even as she explores. She acts so hungry and interested in finding things to eat and in her flock mates eating, but won’t join in actually eating anything. So strange. She might be eating some grass seeds. Anything bigger I’m pretty sure she beaks it and chews a little but throws it out or let’s it drop, and wipes her beak. Not sure if she will drink the electrolyte & probiotic water even. Sorry to vent this horrible stuff, but you all know how hard it is. Thanks in advance. 😢 :hit
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs
Call the vet. Who cares if you bother them for nothing? At worse they'll think you're annoying and at best they can give you some good advice.
Keeping Butters and you in my thoughts, I know how hard it is to fear loosing several in a row.
And I will accept one in return as at the end of a truly crappy day I had to make the difficult decision to euthanize one of my beloved feline family members.
Oh no, I'm so sorry RC 😟. Hugs for you too, I can imagine just how devastated you must be seeing what a loving cat servant you are.
Do you want to share who and how ?
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

I’m trying very hard to wait for word from the vet and not descend into total despair about Butters. I don’t know that she has the time to wait on blood results. And I don’t know anything can be done anyway, except to get food into her and see. But the vet said tube feeding her, if her problem is kidneys or liver, might be counterproductive, so I have not. So I’m grieving that she is likely dying. She is weakening. But she still wants to get out and about. Her eyes are half-closed at times even as she explores. She acts so hungry and interested in finding things to eat and in her flock mates eating, but won’t join in actually eating anything. So strange. She might be eating some grass seeds. Anything bigger I’m pretty sure she beaks it and chews a little but throws it out or let’s it drop, and wipes her beak. Not sure if she will drink the electrolyte & probiotic water even. Sorry to vent this horrible stuff, but you all know how hard it is. Thanks in advance. 😢 :hit
I’m really sorry. Don’t apologize, you have nothing to apologize for. You‘re going through so much. A similar thing happened to mine too.I found that it helped me a lot, and maybe helped her in her final days, to go places. I took her to the lake, i carried her to visit plants outside, and sat with her while she was on my lap. Not trying to say your girl won’t make it, but it might make you feel a little better to know that if something does happen, she felt love even in her final moments. Wishing you the best and i hope she recovers, sending love and prayers your way. :hugs❤️

I’m so sorry!! I can’t imagine.. I wish i could give you a big hug. I‘m sure he knew how much he was loved, and im sure you did the right thing. But none the less i can’t imagine how painful it must be. ❤️:hugs

Back
Top Bottom