You all know I have a thing for black chickens, so this was a very special moment for me.
Tassels and Calypso. The sequence ends when Tassels takes a chunk of my finger.
🥰

View attachment 3667014
View attachment 3667021View attachment 3667019View attachment 3667020
You know, RC, you are a glutton for punishment! ( I love my black chickens...series of photos ended when one to a chunk out of my finger!:lau) Only you, RC, only you!!!!

They are lovely, though!:love:love And I love Tassel's inquisitive look - just before she tried to get herself some protein!

Last edited:
A oversight on my part last night could have ended up with a tragic end. When it was time for everyone to start going to roost I went out and let Poppet have some free range time with me. I noted that Momma Hen had one of the speckled sussex's with her scratching around the hill heading towards her roost tree. Poppet sleeps in a big tote that has a lid and the entrance blocked at night. It is big enough that if I cannot get out first thing in the morning to let her out she has room for a food and water dish and plenty of space to move around. I put poppet up after about 30 minutes and then started doing a head count and a round up making sure everyone is where they are supposed to be. Everyone but one speckled sussex was accounted for. It is dark by this time and I looked everywhere. I thought I saw another chicken beside Momma Hen in her tree that was not the leghorn. I assumed she joined her in the tree. As normal dad let the chickens out of the coop this morning before he went to work. He does not let Poppet out knowing I will come do it. Between a dizzy spell for me and grandma being nauseas this morning I was a little late getting out there. It was about noon when I went out to let her out of the tote. She bolted out which is slightly abnormal. Normally she takes her time coming out of the tote. A few seconds later I realized why she bolted. Out pops Spot, last nights missing sussex. I never thought to check the tote last night looking for her. She never tries to go inside. I gathered Poppet up and inspected every inch of her, no injuries other then being a little wet from her water dish. Spot did not leave the coop immediately either, she wanted to hang around and eat more of poppets food. Same food everyone else has, but I guess Poppets is better. I sat Poppet down and Poppet ate with her. Spot did not peck her at all. Her sister Dottie was evil to her last week. After a few minutes of eating Spot decided it was time to go rejoin her siblings and left the coop. I will now triple check each night before I put Poppet in her tote that she does not have company. If Dottie had been locked up with her I fear I would have had a much different ending.
Moral of the story: Check your totes

26AB61E1-7608-4D4A-A3FC-23099228B67E.jpeg

Babs? Funny, when I look at her eyes I see an old soul.
Not an old lady like me - but back to the dawn of time.
There is something special about Babs.
But she is over a year old so I expected her to molt this season.
I hope she doesn’t get totally naked just as everything gets really cold!
I agree that she is an 'old soul' She was matronly and responsible even as a young pullet. One of the things I loved about her🥰🥰

I am truly happy that you see this and love it in her🤗, though you spend a lot of time with your girls, and are very observant, so I am not surprised you see that in her, too.

Maybe @RoyalChick could suggest what to test for, and you could do swabs and send to a private lab. It is relatively inexpensive, and no avian flu reporting worries. :idunno

It might give you a bit of piece of mind? But then again, it might be inconclusive, and give you nothing but a bill.:idunno
@ChicoryBlue i am happy to share the details of the private lab. But I go along with what others have said and would probably not test or treat at this stage.

You know, RC, you are a gluten for punishment! ( I love my black chickens...series of photos ended when one to a chunk out of my finger!:lau) Only you, RC, only you!!!!

They are lovely, though!:love:love And I love Tassel's inquisitive look - just before she tried to get herself some proteis!
What can I say? I am besotted!

Back
Top Bottom