Well. It will really come down to your comfort level as her carer.
-Letting her pass away naturally is the most hands off, but the chook has a drawn out decline. You’d witness the whole decline. Not my cup of tea.
-Benadryl (or most death by drugs) appeals to me in that you get to take a more active role, and it seems quite peaceful. But on the other hand it’s literally watching her pass away for an hour; that’s too much psychological terror for the carer in my opinion, all in an effort to make it seem peaceful. Also requires you to force feed however many pills/liquid to a chook who may not even have an appetite; that’s a source of discomfort on its own.
-Cervical dislocation: a brutal act for the carer, but *immediate*. This option seems like it favors the chooks comfort (being put out of their misery) well over the human’s. It’s what I have opted for in the past.
I read a bunch about humane killing and it seems there is growing consensus that stunning prior to cutting the throat is the most humane approach.
I would also not trust myself to do cervical dislocation correctly.
So I bought myself a bolt gun which is used for stunning and dispatch of small animals.
I have not had to use it but believe I know how and would do it correctly.
I have had many chicken deaths but they all died naturally either in the coop or in my arms apart from Scary who was my first loss and was taken by a fox.
I think I would only deploy my bolt gun if I believed my chicken was in great distress for example from pain.

Do you think she is suffering Kelly?
I don’t think so, I have been pushing pain meds regularly. She sure likes her food, she is right in there with everyone else when I throw out treats and left overs. But other than that she stands around hunched up, sleeping.

My big concern now is seeeing how my mum can get her to take her pain meds.

I read a bunch about humane killing and it seems there is growing consensus that stunning prior to cutting the throat is the most humane approach.
So I bought myself a bolt gun which is used for stunning and dispatch of small animals.
I have had many chicken deaths but they all died naturally either in the coop or in my arms apart from Scary who was my first loss and was taken by a fox.
I think I would only deploy my bolt gun if I believed my chicken was in great distress for example from pain.
Sad thoughts indeed! :(

I don’t think so, I have been pushing pain meds regularly. She sure likes her food, she is right in there with everyone else when I throw out treats and left overs. But other than that she stands around hunched up, sleeping.

My big concern now is seeeing how my mum can get her to take her pain meds.
So no rush.
Take it one day at a time.

My husband and I went back and forth on this in the summer when we had a hen who was ill, but still engaged with life. It's very hard to take a life and the worry of causing pain and distress at the end was something we wanted to avoid. Louise ended up dieing on her own and I think/hope it was okay for her.

For me, I didn't want to use a technique that mangles the body or creates a lot of blood because I felt that it was important that the other chickens saw the body to process the death. Maybe this is me being silly, but when Louise died, I saw each bird go and stand in front of her body for a time, as if they were paying their respects.

If the vet mentioned Benadryl, it would seem to be a humane option and has the benefit of seeming a bit more natural for the rest of the flock.

Well. It will really come down to your comfort level as her carer.
-Letting her pass away naturally is the most hands off, but the chook has a drawn out decline. You’d witness the whole decline. Not my cup of tea.
-Benadryl (or most death by drugs) appeals to me in that you get to take a more active role, and it seems quite peaceful. But on the other hand it’s literally watching her pass away for an hour; that’s too much psychological terror for the carer in my opinion, all in an effort to make it seem peaceful. Also requires you to force feed however many pills/liquid to a chook who may not even have an appetite; that’s a source of discomfort on its own.
-Cervical dislocation: a brutal act for the carer, but *immediate*. This option seems like it favors the chooks comfort (being put out of their misery) well over the human’s. It’s what I have opted for in the past.

I have no experience in killing ‘hands on’ in such a method of cervical dislocation, and though I would have no problem with someone using this with her. I would be too worried about not doing it properly.

I will likely see if mum can get meds into her while I am away, if not then it will be plan B.

So no rush.
Take it one day at a time.
Unfortunately I only have 1 day. My plan was to not leave this for my mum while I was away. If mum can’t keep getting pain meds into her then I worry she will suffer needlessly.

I will need to see if she will take bread soaked in the Tylenol, not sure what to do with the aspirin. Maybe a chunk of meat with it in there.

It hurt my pride more. That little ahole attacks me all the time. He is short so I think he has big man complex. My reward for not removing him yet will be to feed him to his girls after
Oh dear! He better behave then or else - poor wee man!

I think we need a photo of this wee menace 😊

Oh dear! He better behave then or else - poor wee man!

I think we need a photo of this wee menace 😊
IMG_3792.png
A Menace:

Back
Top Bottom