They are, however, also warning of a potential for temps wildly lower than the area has ever seen 🥶… are chickens okay when it’s -2F out?!
Oh, wow, that's cold!

When we get single digits (above 0F), I know the chickens aren't going to want to come out. They all hunker down in the coop. I close the people door, and sometimes even the pop door. I'll put another bowl of feed in there, and a dish of snow. They will nosh on the snow when they're thirsty.

I'll take them something warm to eat a couple times a day too. Thank goodness we don't get that cold very often.

“You think you can control me? You are one crazy hooman!” image.jpg

Don't let Kelly ruin snow for you. I like it. Just not when I don't want to freeze my feet.
Oh, don’t worry! I don’t think anyone or anything could ever ruin snow for me! It’s such a beautiful wonder down here!
I did live with lots of it in Colorado in my 20s but that was for such a short time but I loved it! Especially the silence!
It’s only snowed 5 times in my lifetime here and I’m almost 56! It’s sad!

Speaking of, there’s snow in the forecast 🕺🏾 They are, however, also warning of a potential for temps wildly lower than the area has ever seen 🥶… are chickens okay when it’s -2F out?!
As long as they have a draft free place - and in that case, well ventilated but not tons of space per chicken - they help keep each other warm.

So, good HIGH ventilation, without drafts and they should be okay. If it is really windy, too, try to add some supplemental heat. I don't have electricity at my coop, so if it is really nasty, I take a 5 gallon and fill it with hot, hot water. Wrap it in corrugated cardboard...and put it in the coop as a mild heat source. It helps some!

As a last resort, some people find a place in their house or garage to move the chickens to if their coop isn't set up for that level of cold, or if they are molting or sick or whatever. Cellars would work well if you have one - cooler than the rest of the house, but not frigid, and easy enough to put shavings down or an old sheet to make for easy clean-up, and a step ladder or a 2x4 on cinder blocks or something serves fine as a temporary roost....a cardboard box with shavings or an old towel serves as an acceptable next box.

Chickens are pretty hardy and cold tolerant as long as they have a draft free shelter......best of luck figuring it out for yur circumstances!

I know I only just added a surprise pullet to my flock in December, but I can’t get my mind off of Spring chicks! I have done so much breed/breeder research, and finally got to complete this order yesterday: Six cute little fluffers headed my way come March!!

I’ll only be able to keep two, but Future-Juliette can worry about that detail.

View attachment 3718303
I am actually considering ordering me 6 chicks this spring! I’ve never done that before… always get mine from the feed stores or TSC. I didn’t know if you could only order six. But I am also afraid of what happened to Bob! I don’t think I could handle something like that😩😱😞😞😞

The list of names that I have called her so far this evening:
Troublemaker
Mama neurotic
Mama hensworth
Flash the featherhead
KFC in waiting!
El poyo no gusto!
Feathered version of Chucky the doll. (Friends till the end)
And I asked her if she was one of those poltergeists inside the tv in the movie 🍿
So far it’s just not working out

Oh, don’t worry! I don’t think anyone or anything could ever ruin snow for me! It’s such a beautiful wonder down here!
I did live with lots of it in Colorado in my 20s but that was for such a short time but I loved it! Especially the silence!
It’s only snowed 5 times in my lifetime here and I’m almost 56! It’s sad!
I'd love to fly the drone over some snow someday. Imagine the shots I could get.

Back
Top Bottom