@rural mouse
20240313_134336.jpg

OMG: I just love the stage of the 2 'littles' - Still all cute fuzz except for the wings, where you start to get a sense of their true coloring (and watching them flit, fly, and fly-hop!) Gosh, I'm so besotted!!! :love :love :love :love :love :love with them.

And that look from Hetty!!!:lau She makes me think of the Hetty on NCIS: Los Angeles!!! Is she one who you said will be a Miss Bossy Pants? That looks says 'yes"
Kate is the bossy one, but Hetty isn't far behind, with the Sussex (thinking Elizabeth, but Betsy rather than Liz, still thinking).

Beaks and toenails - advice needed.

Ever since I read here that beaks and toenails may sometimes need trimming I have been trying to see if my lot are OK.
I think they are, but any input or advice is most welcome.

Babs seems to have quite short nails - consistent with her status as master-digger. I missed out on her beak so will look at that later.
IMG_5475.jpeg

Piglet posed for her toenail and beak shot. WDYT? Tienails a bit long?
IMG_5476.jpeg

Bernie seems to have one toenail out at an angle. Is it getting too long? Trimming Bernie’s toenails might require professional assistance so I am hoping they are OK.
IMG_5474.jpeg

IMG_5481.jpeg

Tassels also posed. Look OK?
IMG_5483.jpeg

Thanks for your help everyone.

The artemesia is coming up everywhere and Babs has started her pruning efforts. I may need to help her this year or we will be over run with the stuff.
There are a few scientific studies to support artemesia as reducing parasitic worms so I am hoping that feasting on the stuff will keep them all healthy.
IMG_5471.jpeg
IMG_5489.jpeg

A Second Skunk

I believe I caught a different skunk coming by last night. This one did not check out Hattie house. It just did the courtyard of the main coop.

Here is a still to show you where to train you eyes as it is not easy to see.

View attachment 3772503

Here is the video.

I think this is a different skunk because the white markings seem different. Here is the skunk from the other night.

View attachment 3772504

There is a lot of white down the side of this skunk. The one from last night seemed to have less white, if any, on its side. What do you all think?
I think that you must have a Pepe Le Pew around, attracting so many 'striped' ladies!:gig

Only 4 - Teddy is on loan so I can get silkie eggs for my niece for the school she teaches at.
You both are assured the kids will know how to handle baby silkies? They’re soooo tiny!
No chicks till May, and they will be sold - that’s one reason for using the silkie Roo - easier hopefully to sell silkies - I will keep two (and hope they are pullets!).
Can you test them or are they too tiny to get any DNA from? From poop?
A Second Skunk

I believe I caught a different skunk coming by last night. This one did not check out Hattie house. It just did the courtyard of the main coop.

Here is a still to show you where to train you eyes as it is not easy to see.

View attachment 3772503

Here is the video.

I think this is a different skunk because the white markings seem different. Here is the skunk from the other night.

View attachment 3772504

There is a lot of white down the side of this skunk. The one from last night seemed to have less white, if any, on its side. What do you all think?
I think it’s a different one too. A family affair…
What is That Giant Animal!

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that my backyard is an animal super highway of some kind. What is this thing that was checking out Hattie House last night?!

Here the Hattie House makes a great size gauge. Are you sure her origins don’t include the Serengeti?
Watch for the eyes and white tip of its tail. The complex is fully skunk proof. It is the yard that is not skunk proof.
Crazy thoughts department: since you posted the first skunk video I’ve been pondering how you could Fort Knox your yard from these types, and I’ve got it! Place electric poultry netting OUTSIDE your wooden fencing, starting against the house in the back where Aurora (?) got loose one day (that’s the side I can picture), have a gate where your fence doorway is, go around the back, and come back against the house on the other side. Crazy, eh? Crazy like a skunk or raccoon getting zapped! :D:D
Wayne Brady does Let's Make Deal today. It's on TV again if you liked it. They brought it back.

TV Guide Tax
View attachment 3772514
OK. Lady Featherington looks really, really HUGE here. Is this her size, or did she just fluff and feathers are still spread a little?
Oooo is that what one calls duck wing pattern/colouring?
That’s what I thought too! Maybe I’m learning something, finally….
I have another angle that shows her looking up at the window better. Nice catch.
I love watching chickens think.
Great video, throughout!
Ooh! Nice catch! Maybe? Not sure how it would all go together though. Blue birchen golden duckwing? Gold shouldered blue duckwing? Something else?
Oh now you’re confusing me again, darn it! :lau

What is That Giant Animal!

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that my backyard is an animal super highway of some kind. What is this thing that was checking out Hattie House last night?!

It seemed like one of your cats - all fluffy with very long hair and tufted ears. (No bobbed tail, though, so not a 'bob' cat, 🤔 So, I'm not sure 🫢)

Back
Top Bottom