PXL_20240315_163505336.jpg

Jaffar update: he’s lost some vision in his good eye. The comb is healing nicely. His torn wattle is probably permanent but healing well too. I have to guide him to his feed bowl and water bowl. Brave little man!
Any improvement is great. :hugs :hugs :hugs

I really don’t want to hurt that rooster next door, but talking to the neighbor, didn’t help. He’s aware that his roo is visiting on my yard. I have to keep my birds locked up until I can figure out what to do. The sheriff said remove the offending rooster quietly and permanently. Animal control doesn’t do chickens. I don’t know what to do :barnie
I love Jaffar too much to watch him get hurt
Did you tell the neighbor that if you find his rooster in your yard again that you will "take care of him"?

Okay, all, I won't be on here for a bit. Hubby's old computer (very old) now won't open this site because it thinks it is bad security wise (really, it just can't update security because it is so old). I snuck on today through my work computer (I'm on vaca today), but will have to refrain until I break down and buy a new, personal computer. Since I like desk-tops & REAL keyboards, it will be $$$ so will have to wait a bit more - until we actually SEE our raise of July last year (only 2%, but with retro/all at once, it should be enough to help make a dent in the purchase price!)

Tech Talk Tax:
Progress on the secure base for the 'Red Coop'

Industrial grating - cleaned it up and used rustoleum deep rust paint before putting on the bottom
IMG_4135[1].JPG

Bottom 2 'rows' of the base with grating (grating will be on the underside, the framing is upside down at the moment to attach grating to it.)
IMG_4133[1].JPG

The helpful digging crew - making sure I was digging properly and they helped 're-level' the site at each stage!

IMG_4138[1].JPG

Making sure everything is square
IMG_4144[1].JPG

And level
IMG_4145[1].JPG

First 2 layers of the base set.. (Yes, it met the inspector's approval!)
IMG_4147[1].JPG

(Edited to add: Yes, I filled underneath it with sand and worked it through the grating to be sure it was full - and 'the crew' helped me 'scratch' it through the grating anyplace it wasn't QUITE filled, ha, ha, ha)

.now to attach remaining (too heavy to move if everything was 'finished' before placing!)
IMG_4153[1].JPG
IMG_4156[1].JPG

Almost done!! Just need to put in the front cross-member, and create a 'door' on this backside for easy 'rake-out' when needed (and, of course, fill with dirt!.) The hard part will be lifting the red coop onto it - That will be a weekend thing with Hubby's help.

Once coop is placed, can start 'trenching' for the buried wire for the run which will be attached (well, built and attached)..to make it rat proof for the chicks.

The chicks will arrive the week of 3/25, and I plan on brooding them in the mudroom for a couple of weeks....should have the rest of the pen done by then:fl:fl (@rural mouse : mud room is almost fully cleaned out - now need to scrub around the louvered windows so tape will STICK and I can put up plastic sheeting to prevent breezes/drafts)

And, a couple of actual chicken photos for real tax:

IMG_4095[1].JPG
IMG_4096[1].JPG
IMG_4094[1].JPG

Happy Fluffy Butt Friday, all!

Last edited:
Okay, all, I won't be on here for a bit. Hubby's old computer (very old) now won't open this site because it thinks it is bad security wise (really, it just can't update security because it is so old). I snuck on today through me work computer (I'm on vaca today), but will have to refrain until I break down and buy a new, personal computer. Since I like desk-tops & REAL keyboards, it will be $$$ so will have to wait a bit more - until we actually SEE our raise of July last year (only 2%, but with retro/all at once, it should be enough to help make a dent in the purchase price!)

Tech Talk Tax:
Progress on the secure base for the 'Red Coop'
Try putting Linux on it. Check the date and time. It's worth doing. What kind of computer is it?

I've bought used computers before. You can get something pretty good used. I recommend taking a look. Just make sure you run it by a person who knows tech so you don't buy a trash heap ;).

(Also, don't buy any cheap HPs or Dells or any "cheap" computer for that matter. They're all trash and will bust sooner or later).

Oh dear. Not all is harmony at the Chicken Palace.
Calypso and Tassels have developed a thing against Piglet. Here is one of them with a bit of Piglet’s crest she pulled out.
This is making Piglet even more of a loner - she already roosts on her own but now she forages away from the rest of the flock.
I worry this makes her even more vulnerable - as well as being tiny and white, she is now solo.
🙁

IMG_5491.jpeg

Try putting Linux on it. Check the date and time. It's worth doing. What kind of computer is it?

I've bought used computers before. You can get something pretty good used. I recommend taking a look. Just make sure you run it by a person who knows tech so you don't buy a trash heap ;).

(Also, don't buy any cheap HPs or Dells or any "cheap" computer for that matter. They're all trash and will bust sooner or later).
@bgmathteach or anyone here who needs help with any computer related thing, just send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom