Based upon subsequent pics of Onyx and Omen(?), both are single combed....wait...one was mentioned as Dominique x light Brahma, so SHOULD end up as walnut comb unless both parents are NOT pure bred....now i have to go back and check the pics....how far back ....
Onaga for the correct name @Desertvalleychickens your barred rock could very easily be mama (and with the straight comb, papa likely the buff orp), and baby would likely have buff leakage. Now the other one: the Dom x light brahma....I'm seeing a bit of buff leakage around her comb....which looks more like a straight comb gone a bit wonky. Are you POSITIVE on her breeding? Admittedly, she has fantastic barring, but the comb and leakage are kinda saying something else is in there somewhere.

Ice storms are among the most destructive weather out there. Please be careful.

Have you considered taking down the netting in advance of an ice storm next time? I think I would look for an easy way to take down the netting if another ice storm were to threaten.
Yes, but not taking down as in putting away, but as in undoing it enough to take the strain off. Pulling them off the greenhouse frames and leaving the poles there so only small parts are being held up, the rest on the ground and covered with plastic.

I need to completely re-think the connections to the permanent runs though, with some easy-off, easy-on method. It's been taut and I've been able to walk under it. The netting resists a straight edge in a way, so I spend a lot of time tucking and pulling together to not create any gaps for hawks to zip through.

Maybe if a 2x2 or pole of some length were threaded through an edge, then could the 2x2 / pole be easily attached and unattached to the run? Just an idea off the top of my head.

Yes, but not taking down as in putting away, but as in undoing it enough to take the strain off. Pulling them off the greenhouse frames and leaving the poles there so only small parts are being held up, the rest on the ground and covered with plastic.

I need to completely re-think the connections to the permanent runs though, with some easy-off, easy-on method. It's been taut and I've been able to walk under it. The netting resists a straight edge in a way, so I spend a lot of time tucking and pulling together to not create any gaps for hawks to zip through.

Maybe if a 2x2 or pole of some length were threaded through an edge, then could the 2x2 / pole be easily attached and unattached to the run? Just an idea off the top of my head.
Not sure if the initial pole/2x2 will work, but I think it's a good stepping stone if it doesn't. Wonder if you can work some sort of quick release with bungee cords or chain and carabiner...to work with both the sturdiness of the frame/support and the flexibility of the netting...

Drill holes in the 2x2 and put a wire ‘ring’ through the hole. Then you could either attach the ring to hooks in the run framing - or more securely attach pad-eyes to the run framing and link to the rings with carabiners.
Just playing around with ideas.

Hello FBA ! It's the beginning of a very rainy day here. I hope you will forgive me for taking the opportunity to post a long delayed Pony Sunday post even though it's Tuesday. I'll make sure to post a few chickens pictures in there.

First, I wanted to comment on the soft egg issue and the link to calcium and nutrition. In December we took one of the younger hens, Kara, to the vet for a number of issues (I wrongly feared ascites) amongst which laying problems and soft shell eggs. The vet's recommendation, per usual, was to switch back to layer feed only and a calcium and vitamin D3 supplement in the water. The point I wanted to share, is that he said to do this for a month : he considered this was the required length to see if the problem actually came from nutrition or not.
In her case it did nothing to help, so I went back to my usual way of feeding.

We call Kara the witch, because she is such a bully !
IMG_20240326_090339.jpg

Kara from a different angle😊.
IMG_20231205_135548.jpg

Pony Sunday on Tuesday anecdote : at the beginning of March we had two snow storms on consecutive weekends. This coincided with lambing for our village's young couple of shepherds. It was the first year that the lambing took place in their new hoop shelter in the mountain. Because the mobile phone network was down for two weeks, the town couldn't get to the society that usually clears the mountain road, so getting up there was quite a feat, and in fact they had two of their SUV stuck by the shelter for a few days, only the old tractor from the 1960's made it down ! But everything went fine, their power generator held up, and they had around 150 lambs born between the 25 February and the 10 march. I managed to run up during the first storm (though I really regretted it as I had a bit of a fright coming down) and they took me in to show me the babies. I was amazed at how warm it was inside the hoop under the snow, with just the animal heat (and how strong it smelled 😂) ! Now all the snow is gone, and in another two weeks they will take the lambs out to graze.

The hoop shelter under the snow.
IMG_20240303_090320.jpg

Can you spy the pony in the snow ? Hint : it's a canine.
IMG_20240326_080203.jpg

IMG_20240326_080314.jpg

This is Carlos, an Anatolian / Pyrenneese mix LGD. This dog belongs to another shepherd down the valley and no human can touch or catch him. In late summer the herds mix on the furthest mountain pasture and when they sorted the sheeps out, Carlos followed this herd instead of his. He stayed all winter in the mountain with the rams, was there when the ewes came back from the plain, and now he is part of their LGD's but still no one can catch him. I think he may be better off here, as he is getting properly fed and both humans and dogs are much less mean.
Some of the lambs now
IMG_20240325_095246.jpg

And some chicken tax :
11 out of 16 in a picture, I rarely get more
IMG_20240320_155517.jpg

And a twofer from a few days ago as it's pouring now. Annette and Laure
IMG_20240323_143941.jpg

Have a nice day everyone!

Hello FBA ! It's the beginning of a very rainy day here. I hope you will forgive me for taking the opportunity to post a long delayed Pony Sunday post even though it's Tuesday. I'll make sure to post a few chickens pictures in there.

First, I wanted to comment on the soft egg issue and the link to calcium and nutrition. In December we took one of the younger hens, Kara, to the vet for a number of issues (I wrongly feared ascites) amongst which laying problems and soft shell eggs. The vet's recommendation, per usual, was to switch back to layer feed only and a calcium and vitamin D3 supplement in the water. The point I wanted to share, is that he said to do this for a month : he considered this was the required length to see if the problem actually came from nutrition or not.
In her case it did nothing to help, so I went back to my usual way of feeding.

We call Kara the witch, because she is such a bully !
View attachment 3782162
Kara from a different angle😊.
View attachment 3782164

Pony Sunday on Tuesday anecdote : at the beginning of March we had two snow storms on consecutive weekends. This coincided with lambing for our village's young couple of shepherds. It was the first year that the lambing took place in their new hoop shelter in the mountain. Because the mobile phone network was down for two weeks, the town couldn't get to the society that usually clears the mountain road, so getting up there was quite a feat, and in fact they had two of their SUV stuck by the shelter for a few days, only the old tractor from the 1960's made it down ! But everything went fine, their power generator held up, and they had around 150 lambs born between the 25 February and the 10 march. I managed to run up during the first storm (though I really regretted it as I had a bit of a fright coming down) and they took me in to show me the babies. I was amazed at how warm it was inside the hoop under the snow, with just the animal heat (and how strong it smelled 😂) ! Now all the snow is gone, and in another two weeks they will take the lambs out to graze.

The hoop shelter under the snow.
View attachment 3782155
Can you spy the pony in the snow ? Hint : it's a canine.
View attachment 3782166
View attachment 3782153
This is Carlos, an Anatolian / Pyrenneese mix LGD. This dog belongs to another shepherd down the valley and no human can touch or catch him. In late summer the herds mix on the furthest mountain pasture and when they sorted the sheeps out, Carlos followed this herd instead of his. He stayed all winter in the mountain with the rams, was there when the ewes came back from the plain, and now he is part of their LGD's but still no one can catch him. I think he may be better off here, as he is getting properly fed and both humans and dogs are much less mean.
Some of the lambs now
View attachment 3782156

And some chicken tax :
11 out of 16 in a picture, I rarely get more
View attachment 3782158
And a twofer from a few days ago as it's pouring now. Annette and Laure
View attachment 3782169
Have a nice day everyone!
Wow! That’s good snow pack you had, and it sure made everything green up fast.

Loved the story about the LGD and yes sounds like he chose well. Animals are not stupid. And all those lambs (yes they do smell strong don’t they?!).

And as always really enjoy seeing your flock in your beautiful surroundings. Hope you have a good day stay dry (rain here also today).

Back
Top Bottom