And then there were 9.

Yesterday Betsy darted out of the coop at closing time. Waaayyyy out. Couldn't find her. Left it open for a while longer. 2 of the ladies went back out and loitered some more. Went back out an hour later. Saw her, she split again. This time I was able to follow...sort of. She went to ground, I found her, she split again. I couldn't find her. Went back for a wrap and flashlight as it was getting dark dark. Still couldn't find her. Finally closed the coop and sat out in the dark a while longer listening. Nothing. Slim chance of her showing up this morning (with the fox around and the 30F overnight temps, doubtful). Still nothing.

5-6 weeks, taken today.
20240331_111237.jpg
Back row: Jane, Daisy, Kate, Blurr
Front row: Focus, Hetty, Rose, Violet, Hyacinth.

And then there were 9.

Yesterday Betsy darted out of the coop at closing time. Waaayyyy out. Couldn't find her. Left it open for a while longer. 2 of the ladies went back out and loitered some more. Went back out an hour later. Saw her, she split again. This time I was able to follow...sort of. She went to ground, I found her, she split again. I couldn't find her. Went back for a wrap and flashlight as it was getting dark dark. Still couldn't find her. Finally closed the coop and sat out in the dark a while longer listening. Nothing. Slim chance of her showing up this morning (with the fox around and the 30F overnight temps, doubtful). Still nothing.

5-6 weeks, taken today.View attachment 3787986Back row: Jane, Daisy, Kate, Blurr
Front row: Focus, Hetty, Rose, Violet, Hyacinth.
Oh no! Silly chooks - they are so much trouble and stress at times 😳😟

My poor chooks have had a not so good living condition forever. I hate to admit it, but it was way less than ideal. Mom and I have been saying how we are going to fix it and build them a roosting bar, but we never have. They have been sleeping on this wooden box that is COVERED in poop.

Yesterday Mom and I spent the whole day taking that box apart and we finally built them a roosting ladder.

Them sleeping on poop is awful. I owe them an okay roosting situation for how good of birds they are. (Not perfect because Bolt decides to eat masks while standing on a four foot long rat snake- geez she is kinda dumb.)

This is the before- I know- it’s really awful. No wonder why BBQ’s bumblefoot kept coming back. They would sleep on top of it and it was always wet and caked in poop.
IMG_1189.jpeg

This is after. I am still going to add one more roost bar, but for now it will do. I was the one who screwed in all in place. I did most of it.
Opal jumped up on her own. OMG- you can see broody Willow all poofed up!
IMG_3100.jpeg

This is all of the hens. Pastel was in timeout in a small TSC coop because he attacked my foot about five times… He is so sweet 😅
IMG_3107.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom