For how long can hens lay fertilized eggs after they mate?

Carabiniero8

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2018
I know that for chickens it is up to 2 weeks, and the fertility rate drops off sharply after that until basically 0 at 1 month, but what is it for ducks? If one of my hens mated with a drake a week ago and they have been separated since then, can she still be laying fertilized eggs?

And would all eggs she lays be fertilized or would some eggs she lays be fertilized, but others might not be fertilized?

Thank you!

1I know that for chickens it is up to 2 weeks, and the fertility rate drops off sharply after that until basically 0 at 1 month, but what is it for ducks?
same with ducks...A drake will supply a female with enough "juice" to last 2 weeks or throughout his mating season. Meaning whenever a drake breeds with a hen...her eggs will be fertile with that drake for 2 weeks after they breed, and she will lay his fertilized eggs
And would all eggs she lays be fertilized or would some eggs she lays be fertilized, but others might not be fertilized?

Thank you!
Should all be fertilized..but nature will always take course.

I purchased a young female Hookbill duck last fall. The next day, she layed an egg. I broke it open to eat and realuzed it was fertile. I assumed she had been kept with other Hookbills and decided to collect and incubate her eggs. I collected 6 or 7 eggs and numbered them. Only the next 4 where fertile. All after that we’re not. So, she was only fertile for 5 or 6 days after. Is your goal fertile or infertile? If it is to get to infertile, break an egg open and check.

Back
Top Bottom