For those who raise their ducks for meat. What are your favorite duck recipes? Any suggestions on a good recipe to take to a potluck?

Depends on the potluck - the best young duck recipes are near rare, that's not something you want to risk at a potluck. The best old duck recipes involve turning it into a sausage or other ground meat, then combining with other ingredients (veg, mostly), wrapping and frying, such as duck egg rolls.

Pot luck, you need something you can make in advance, keep warm for long periods, and that doesn't suffer from overcooking. That means either ground duck stuffed wontons in poultry broth as a soup, or a solid duck curry served over rice - where the fact that duck is both 100% dark meat and moderately strongly flavored (at least, as poultry goes) is to your benefit. After that, depends on the audience. If they are likely to not be adventurous/ or you don't want to overwhelm every other dish present, look to a mild yellow curry, green curry, or massaman curry recipe. If you have some chili heads and a good specialty mart? Make doro wat (national dish of Ethiopia) using duck instread of chicken. It should be served with injera, but that's both work and needs to be prepared fresh, so think sourdough flatbreads or even tortillas on the side. Barring that? yup. Rice.

Good luck with your dish, whatever you decide!

Depends on the potluck - the best young duck recipes are near rare, that's not something you want to risk at a potluck. The best old duck recipes involve turning it into a sausage or other ground meat, then combining with other ingredients (veg, mostly), wrapping and frying, such as duck egg rolls.

Pot luck, you need something you can make in advance, keep warm for long periods, and that doesn't suffer from overcooking. That means either ground duck stuffed wontons in poultry broth as a soup, or a solid duck curry served over rice - where the fact that duck is both 100% dark meat and moderately strongly flavored (at least, as poultry goes) is to your benefit. After that, depends on the audience. If they are likely to not be adventurous/ or you don't want to overwhelm every other dish present, look to a mild yellow curry, green curry, or massaman curry recipe. If you have some chili heads and a good specialty mart? Make doro wat (national dish of Ethiopia) using duck instread of chicken. It should be served with injera, but that's both work and needs to be prepared fresh, so think sourdough flatbreads or even tortillas on the side. Barring that? yup. Rice.

Micdrop 🎤

😋 *Mouth watering* that sounds great! I'll definitely have to try one of those. My goal after all is to pack my freezer full of duck.

Can you grill duck or roast it on a rotisserie?

😋 *Mouth watering* that sounds great! I'll definitely have to try one of those. My goal after all is to pack my freezer full of duck.

Can you grill duck or roast it on a rotisserie?
Rotisserie,yes. Grilled? I will say its a lot easier to screw up duck on a grill than screwing up steak - and how many people consistently grill steak well???

If you do try it, season heavily, just use the breasts, and pound gently to roughly even thickness. Dry rubs, not marinades. If (gasp) you like medium or (sacrilege) medium well for your steaks, learn to brine.

Legs and thighs are too variable in thickness for good grilling, unless you have MAD grill skills.

Back
Top Bottom