Pics
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I’ve actually done all of this, except the golf ball thing. I have fake eggs...

And, keeping them in is a bad idea. The last time we tried this, all but the rooster and the largest hen would get out anyway... plus, I am going to get nesting boxes for the lower part of the barn they layed in, as they seem to prefer laying there.

I am kinda still in shock... Probably will just give them to the cats and chickens, as both really like eggs...

But here’s the thing I was wondering about... how long have my chickens been laying here!? Only three chickens were involved in this!

View attachment 2123151
Wow! Did you do the test to see if they float? You can candle them looking for an air pocket. If they were in a relatively dark place no direct sun light, these could be perfectly good eggs. I've found eggs in large numbers like maybe 25 under a trailer dark area and had them be good. But e hens and that many? Hard to say. But eggs naturally have a protective layer on them if they haven't been washed. Yoke intact indicates good egg. I love those red eggs. What kind of chicken lays that

I am kinda still in shock... Probably will just give them to the cats and chickens, as both really like eggs...

But here’s the thing I was wondering about... how long have my chickens been laying here!? Only three chickens were involved in this!

View attachment 2123151
Hilarious! Do a float test and donate the good/fresh ones!

View attachment 2123151
How long? figure that each laid one egg daily. The oldest eggs are 24 days old.

Back
Top Bottom