Found in the nesting box, what is it?

ChickenTenderz

Songster
Mar 21, 2023
When I went to collect eggs today, I found these weird pink fleshy looking things in the nesting box too.
I have three Black Australorps (1 year old) that seem to be laying consistently and four Rhode Island Reds (2 years old) but I think only two of them are laying right now.
Any ideas to what it is?

Attachments

• 20240426_130019.jpg
    20240426_130019.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 56
I haven't found any more lash eggs but there was one with a paper thin shell this morning. I have noticed one of our girls, the one that has egg gland issues has been a little stand-offish this past week. She is either slow to join the others for treats (scrambled egg yolks) or doesn't bother to come over at all. This morning I noticed her standing in the corner of the coop by herself and her comb is very pale pink instead of red like everyone else. I attached close ups of Becky with her pale comb and the other girls for reference. We just integrated our 3 newest girls (12week old) this morning so I'm pretty sure it's not stress from that, she is a gentle hen and doesn't peck at them, wish that was true for all of them but I know it's part of their nature to assert dominance. I have also heard a chicken sneeze a few times thus week but couldn't tell who did it.
Any ideas to what is going on with Becky? Should I isolate her?

Attachments

• 20240518_125650.jpg
    20240518_125650.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240518_125416.jpg
    20240518_125416.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240518_125720.jpg
    20240518_125720.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240518_125531.jpg
    20240518_125531.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 9
Any ideas to what is going on with Becky? Should I isolate her?
Have you checked for parasites or looked at the poop for worms?

I wouldn't bother isolating since anything she would have would've been spread around already, but I'd keep an eye on her since her behavior is off, and note any other problems/off behaviors you notice from her.

Have you checked for parasites or looked at the poop for worms?

I wouldn't bother isolating since anything she would have would've been spread around already, but I'd keep an eye on her since her behavior is off, and note any other problems/off behaviors you notice from her.
Just caught her to get a better look. This is her backside. A big open place below the vent.
Edit: I just found maggots in her wound. I think she is going to have to be put down.

Attachments

• 20240518_181744.jpg
    20240518_181744.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just caught her to get a better look. This is her backside. A big open place below the vent.
Edit: I just found maggots in her wound. I think she is going to have to be put down.
Try posting on the emergency forum to see if anyone has advice with treating it, if you'd want to save her. I haven't dealt with infected wounds or vent issues myself.

Try posting on the emergency forum to see if anyone has advice with treating it, if you'd want to save her. I haven't dealt with infected wounds or vent issues myself.
When I looked at her belly it was crawling with maggots. I don't think we could've done anything to save her. She hid it from us too long. It was the humane thing to do. 😭
She was a good hen, she always followed me around the yard "talking", a very sweet girl.

When I looked at her belly it was crawling with maggots. I don't think we could've done anything to save her. She hid it from us too long. It was the humane thing to do. 😭
She was a good hen, she always followed me around the yard "talking", a very sweet girl.
I dealt with fly strike last summer with Red - she also has egg laying issues, no longer lays. She is 6 which is a good age for one of those red sex-link production layers.

I picked hundreds of maggots off her and flushed out where they had a gapping hole in her belly. I had to use twizzers to pluck the maggots off her, I then flushed the wound with ivermectin and also gave her some orally to kill any maggots I couldn't see/find/remove.

She then went on a heavy duty course of amoxicillin for 10 days, and 1/2 low dose aspirin twice a day for 10 days. The wound on her belly took months to fully heal and the necrotic tissue to slough off. I have been keeping her on 1/2 a tablet of low dose aspirin since this and she is doing well for an old bird. She doesn't move fast unless there is food involved - and I figure as long as she is enjoying her food she can stay around.

I really didn't expect her to last the winter; as it was I kept her in my heated feedroom / office at night, but during the day she was out with the herd roaming the barn.

Fly strike is a horrible thing to deal with, I now keep my hens butts trimmed back so I can keep an eye on their fluffy butts. In fact this weekend it's time for more landscaping in their nether region!

Back
Top Bottom