Fowl pox

Neenam

Hatching
Oct 19, 2022
Hi Y'all! I believe I have 2 (of 8) chickens with fowl pox. I live in Austin, Texas and the mosquitos were definitely around this summer. I'm looking for any help with where to get vaccines or current treatment for the outbreak.

Palliative care. Fowl pox (the dry version, anyways) is rarely dangerous to your birds, spreads VERY slowly through the flock, and will confer immunity to that strain (as well as resistance to some others) for the remainder of the chicken's natural life. Too late to vaccinate. (vaccination isn't completely effective either).

Out of my flock of 11, 10 hens and a rooster, I have lost a hen and just this evening my rooster due to a pox outbreak even with feeding major vitamins and proteins once the outbreak started, while caring for their pox areas with warm water and antibiotics. Pay attention to each one's behavior and give them extra love if they begin acting differently.

Hi Y'all! I believe I have 2 (of 8) chickens with fowl pox. I live in Austin, Texas and the mosquitos were definitely around this summer. I'm looking for any help with where to get vaccines or current treatment for the outbreak.
Can you post some pictures of the pox scabs? You can get vaccines online through a few stores. It comes in 1000 dose vials, and must be used within an hour of mixing the water with the vaccine. It would take some time to get to you, and it has to have a cooler and ice packs when shipped. Only chickens who have not been exposed or showing scabs should be vaccinated. Jefferspet.com and ValleyVet.com are some that sell it. Here is a video:

Out of my flock of 11, 10 hens and a rooster, I have lost a hen and just this evening my rooster due to a pox outbreak even with feeding major vitamins and proteins once the outbreak started, while caring for their pox areas with warm water and antibiotics. Pay attention to each one's behavior and give them extra love if they begin acting differently.
Have you seen any signs of wet pox, where there are yellow patches inside the beak or throat? Do you have any pictures of the scabs? Pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and there is no treatment, except for supportive. If there are scabs over eyes or nostrils, if there is wet pox, or if it strikes chicks, it can be more deadly. Sorry for your loss.

Have you seen any signs of wet pox, where there are yellow patches inside the beak or throat? Do you have any pictures of the scabs? Pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and there is no treatment, except for supportive. If there are scabs over eyes or nostrils, if there is wet pox, or if it strikes chicks, it can be more deadly. Sorry for your loss.
No sign of wet pox. Super close to eyes and nostrils, I treated those first and checked routinely. In both cases running about, eating, drinking...with scabs. Passed 12-18 hours later. No chicks. Also recently added 5 to the flock days after losing my hen and signs within my existing flock (but I was dumb about this then), who then also showed signs of the pox the next day. It is running through the southeast. The vaccinations are sketchy for efficacy, I have learned. For me, I would have vaccinated hoping for the best, but done everything I did either way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom