Friendliest Chickens/Best Personalities??

in my short experience...

1) Not RIR
2) see #1
3) Barred Rocks are great!!
4) BSL's are pretty nice too....not what you would call lap birds but close
I disagree on RIR. RIR roosters are often jerks that is true. I have 9 hens and they are the super friendly and none of them have ever been mean. The just love to help me with whatever I'm doing and love when I come spend time with them. Several of them can't wait to sit on my lap or shoulder. They are a bit vocal and loud so I wouldn't get them if close neighbors mind noisy chickens but I love it when I walk out on the porch and they're calling me to come visit.

I disagree on RIR. RIR roosters are often jerks that is true. I have 9 hens and they are the super friendly and none of them have ever been mean. The just love to help me with whatever I'm doing and love when I come spend time with them. Several of them can't wait to sit on my lap or shoulder. They are a bit vocal and loud so I wouldn't get them if close neighbors mind noisy chickens but I love it when I walk out on the porch and they're calling me to come visit.
Since this post, 1 of RIR pullets has gotten a lot more friendly....I think it's because she has started laying? I did go through a rough patch with my RIR cockerel (Ted) but I think we are on the road to a nice relationship after a couple of physical altercations. Now we coexist and everything seems to be much better. Fingers crossed...

Seramas, Mille Fleur d’Uccle, Porcelain d’Anvers, Silkies, Buff Orpington, Australorp, EE…. at least from my experience. It’s a terrible idea to mix Seramas with standard breeds though, since they’re so teeny. I do keep mine with my other bantam breeds, and they all do quite well together. In the past, I’ve also had many RIR and BR that were sweet and friendly. Of my current standard breeds, the Buff Orpington and EE are the friendliest of all and like to interact and even be pet and held. Good wishes for you, your flock, and future add-ons!

Seramas, Mille Fleur d’Uccle, Porcelain d’Anvers, Silkies, Buff Orpington, Australorp, EE…. at least from my experience. It’s a terrible idea to mix Seramas with standard breeds though, since they’re so teeny. I do keep mine with my other bantam breeds, and they all do quite well together. In the past, I’ve also had many RIR and BR that were sweet and friendly. Of my current standard breeds, the Buff Orpington and EE are the friendliest of all and like to interact and even be pet and held. Good wishes for you, your flock, and future add-ons!

Agreed on seramas:p! My silkie mix pullet is also relatively friendly. Not a good fit for most people, but aseel are very friendly as well

Of all the chicken breeds I've had, my Bielefelder chicks (now 13 weeks old) have been the friendliest. 3 of the 4 are happy to get on my lap.
I almost got a few of these when I ordered....but they were not going to be available for a few weeks after I wanted my chicks. I may have to look for some pullets of this breed since I won't be raising anymore myself.

Black Australorps! Both follow us everywhere, enjoy pets (unless they're busy with food-related activities), and one is even a lap dog. They also love a good chitchat, are very inquisitive, and are just all around happy birds. Friendly from Day 1.

Back
Top Bottom