Frontline ???

Quote:
Which Frontline do you use? The one for dogs/cats, or the spray for poultry that ParrotsNPullets referred to? And how do you apply it under the wing, with a Qtip? I realize it's not an issue for you Lund Poultry, but am I understanding correctly (anyone else) that it is safe to eat the eggs after you use it on them?

I am wondering the same thing. I treated my birds with the spray for dogs and cats yesterday because nothing else has worked for my mite problem and I am getting worn out with the coop cleanouts, etc. From what I have read since it is not approved for poultry no tests have been done on the affect on the eggs. In theory since the spray is not absorbed into the blood stream there should be no affect on the eggs so no one knows for sure. Some vets warn about eating the eggs and others say it is nothing to worry about.

It may not be common, but there are other people that have had reactions to Frontline. It gets mentioned online at times, when people are looking for alternatives for their dogs. I never thought about reporting it to the manufacturer. I didn't think they'd care. I certainly talked to my vet, but all they could recommend was to wash the dog repeatedly. Unfortunately, it took months for it to clear out of the dog and she needed weekly baths for me to be able to live with her.

We have used Frontline on our dogs for years. It works! Three of them sleep with us and I have actually gotten Frontline on my hands and from my hands into my mouth. Now I don’t recommend drinking it and if you have an allergic reaction to it I’d stay away from it. With that said I’m still alive and haven’t grown a third eye yet. Your mileage may vary.

I used it on a batch of pullets I had that had a horrible Mite infestation and it worked amazing. I used Frontline Plus, put a drop on the back of each ones neck and it killed all the mites. They were not laying yet so I was not worried about egg withholding time. I wanted to use it on my layers but I cant find an egg withdraw time. Does anyone know how long you can not eat the eggs after treating with it?

Quote:
I'm just learning this chicken thing, so please excuse my dumb questions. How do you know if your chickens have mites? Can you actually see them? I have 23 almost month old chicks from TSC and they LOOK alright to me, but like I said, I'm new at this. I want to be proactive and hopefully avoid any serious problems. Thanks for any input.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I don't think we are going to find an answer to that question since it is not an approved use of the product. I don't think there have been any studies done so so one knows for sure.

mites look like slow moving pieces of dirt. the lice, well they look like lice. If you search mites in chickens on goodle you can see pictures. They like to hang out around the vent and under the wings. Check them at differnt times of day if possible, sometimes they are more active than others. Hope this helps

Hmmm... well, I might have to get some Frontline specifically for the chickens and guineas. I quit using on our dogs several years ago when the fleas started throwing parties after I applied it.
big_smile.png

Now we use Promeris on them. Strong smell when first applied is the only drawback.

Back
Top Bottom