Hi! Can you see if you can use a syringe to drain the fluid in his wattles?
Why would you suggest this?
Do you have first hand experience or even read that it has been done and helped?
I've never tried it, but I've heard that applying a coating of Vaseline to the wattle/comb will help protect.
It does not help, and in fact could make it worse.

UPDATE: He is doing great! It took a couple of days hand feeding and watering him but now he’s back to his usual self. Some of the black is peeling off like a scab, some is hardening. He is mostly back to his old self. We did continue the antibiotics for the week too to be on the safe side.
Good news.
It will take months to fully heal up.
Here's some healing progress examples of severe frostbite I've had here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Why would you suggest this?
Do you have first hand experience or even read that it has been done and helped?

It does not help, and in fact could make it worse.

Good news.
It will take months to fully heal up.
Here's some healing progress examples of severe frostbite I've had here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/
There was an thread a couple of months ago where OP drained a swollen wattle. She was sure what caused it, that's why I suggested it. He was also bent forward like that.💕

UPDATE: He is doing great! It took a couple of days hand feeding and watering him but now he’s back to his usual self. Some of the black is peeling off like a scab, some is hardening. He is mostly back to his old self. We did continue the antibiotics for the week too to be on the safe side.
I'm glad to hear he's doing great!

When you have time, post some updated photos so we can see his progress.

We have a great Roo with swollen wattles from -25 degree weather and an open water pail ... first time in 12 years that this problem surfaced. Anyway same descriptions as previous writers but my boy was wheezing so also I had pneumonia worries in addition to swollen wattles. His wattles were so swollen that he would not and continues not to eat on his own. In a fit of panic I brought him indoors and started feeding him soft white bread in Pedialyte. At first I added 1 tsp to plain water then accidentally gave him some full strength. After that he would only accept Pedialyte full strength on bread. He has lived in my basement office for 7 days and started drinking water on his own for the first time this morning. I do have concerns for the wheezing (somewhat abated) though antibiotics are on the way. My worst fear is that he will not be able to handle the colder temperatures when he goes back to the Coop. There is nowhere else I can safely keep him (dogs, cats, kids) and until I am sure he does not have pneumonia and he eats on his own, he'll be in the basement room. Thoughts welcome. And to "BigTom Turkey" I really chuckled and like your pronouns ... I'm gonna steal them but make them for a girl ;)

We have a great Roo with swollen wattles from -25 degree weather and an open water pail ... first time in 12 years that this problem surfaced. Anyway same descriptions as previous writers but my boy was wheezing so also I had pneumonia worries in addition to swollen wattles. His wattles were so swollen that he would not and continues not to eat on his own. In a fit of panic I brought him indoors and started feeding him soft white bread in Pedialyte. At first I added 1 tsp to plain water then accidentally gave him some full strength. After that he would only accept Pedialyte full strength on bread. He has lived in my basement office for 7 days and started drinking water on his own for the first time this morning. I do have concerns for the wheezing (somewhat abated) though antibiotics are on the way. My worst fear is that he will not be able to handle the colder temperatures when he goes back to the Coop. There is nowhere else I can safely keep him (dogs, cats, kids) and until I am sure he does not have pneumonia and he eats on his own, he'll be in the basement room. Thoughts welcome. And to "BigTom Turkey" I really chuckled and like your pronouns ... I'm gonna steal them but make them for a girl ;)
Oh my! Sounds like a spoiled boy if he will only accept Pedialyte full strength:)

Bread is a nice enticement and a good way to get them eating short term, but you will want to try to get more nutrition into him. Try offering wet feed, bits of scrambled egg, etc. You can also try Torpedo feeding or something similar, making a wet feed that you can form that you can pop into his beak. (Link below about Torpedo feeding, it's not just for cross-beaks, many have used this method for sick chickens will good results).

Glad he's drinking on his own, if his wattles were really swollen, that would have made it difficult to dip for water.
Sounds like he's improving.

As for the wheezing, that would be a concern. Could he have aspirated some water at some point or the wheezing was there from the beginning when you brought him in?
Not sure what antibiotic you have on the way, but I'd see if the meds make a difference.
Hopefully they will.
Keep us posted on how he's doing, photos are always welcome.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

Thank-you Wyorp Rock for your thoughts and suggestions.

Update on DannyBoy frostbite/swollen wattles/wheezing.

Antibiotic just started today (day #8 in the house) - Clavacillin/ Avian/ 1 per day: 375 mg tablet crushed in small amount of Pedialyte administered anyway he'll take it. He ate the bread soaked in it just like previous days. There are some rare reactions to this drug so I am keeping a close watch to make sure no issues - a little tough since he's already down-a-notch.

He is eating some grain and some cornbread, not big on scrambled egg or other protein sources ... problematic ... but still an improvement. I have tried Evanger's dog food (limited ingredient canned pork & rabbit) no interest, cottage cheese - seems not to object but is difficult to feed and I worry that dairy is not great for Roos. Tomorrow I may try some powdered Collagen (beef). And I have some tuna I can try too. Having a hard time getting mealworms - I'm housebound this week for work responsibilities.

Brought him in the house wheezing (so not aspirated h2o) and this has, occasionally, been an issue in the Coop for him. I started using VetRx but switched to Olba's Oil for respiratory issue in Coop and now also in the house. He has reponded well to this treatment. A few drops on a tissue is enough ... but today continued wheezing appears to be significant . It got worse today though it had been abating so I think being in the house this long is quite stressful for him.

Also he was in a brood box and lower than me but managed to break free and got to the top shelf of a bookcase so administrating anything where I have to hold him is next to impossible.

Thanks again for your wise counsel.

oops forgot to add his picture

Attachments

• DannyBoy.jpg
    DannyBoy.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom