Do they need to be separate from the chickens?
I would suggest separating them, Especially during breeding season, The ganders will become quite aggressive during breeding and could go after your chickens, And even you. The Ganders are also very protective of it's mate & Goslings. So if you get a pair and let them hatch out a clutch they will most likely go after you while raising Goslings.

I would suggest separating them, Especially during breeding season, The ganders will become quite aggressive during breeding and could go after your chickens, And even you. The Ganders are also very protective of it's mate & Goslings. So if you get a pair and let them hatch out a clutch they will most likely go after you while raising Goslings.
Yes, i have heard they are aggressive.... Geese are accredited for raising an alarm when the Gallic barbarians were attacking Rome, thereby saving the city from full destruction...... Are they often broody?

Yes, i have heard they are aggressive.... Geese are accredited for raising an alarm when the Gallic barbarians were attacking Rome, thereby saving the city from full destruction...... Are they often broody?

Very broody, especially if you're getting them from a private breeder, I'm getting mine from Mypetchickens, An online hatchery in Ohio so I don't expect mine to go broody all the time.. But they most likely will :)

Very broody, especially if you're getting them from a private breeder, I'm getting mine from Mypetchickens, An online hatchery in Ohio so I don't expect mine to go broody all the time.. But they most likely will :)
I am in the Adirondacks, I would want broody geese but there aren't many farms with geese around here. Also, I would only want two or three, that excludes a larger hatchery because the have minimum chick orders..... Although, I could buy ten chickens and the rest geese, that would meet the minimum.......

I had to special order my geese from a feed store in colo. I wanted 1 boy and 2 girls. They only sell them in pairs. So I came home with 4 geese which was fine until they got their hormones then all bliss went to pot. I sold one pair and kept the pair that the gander had imprinted on me.

We eat the eggs and I also carve the shells or decorate them. Each egg which she lays every other day, is the equal to 3 chicken eggs. I don't have room to have a bunch of babies. She doesn't seem to miss them. Lots of protein I have to say

Back
Top Bottom