Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
Pics
Anything but white. Not crazy about solid white for some reason, I'm just not a fan. Possibly from raising quail and the solid whites seem to always look like crap, They just get so dirty and they aren't even on the ground! I definitely want some blues to go with Elvis, my niece's blue Silkie/Polish cross Roo. He needs some girlfriends, and since they are at my house, I can use them to experiment with ;)
I can help you with this. I think I have an add placed you can look at, & contact me for next spring. I can't do anything in this thread.

Why do you have your other roosters with your hens if you what them to breed with the silkies?
Because I don't have a bachelor pad made up, & my grandpa won't let me set up anymore coops until he passes away. But it's okay, I have a plan for next year, to get better results.

Because I don't have a bachelor pad made up, & my grandpa won't let me set up anymore coops until he passes away. But it's okay, I have a plan for next year, to get better results.
Maybe you could set up a little temporary corral and put the desired roosters and hens in it for a day (after separating the hens from the roosters for about a week to make sure their eggs are already ferilized by another rooster). Or find someone to set up a chicken playdate with.

Maybe you could set up a little temporary corral and put the desired roosters and hens in it for a day (after separating the hens from the roosters for about a week to make sure their eggs are already ferilized by another rooster). Or find someone to set up a chicken playdate with.
In order to be 100% certain on the fatger, you would have to keep the hens separated from all males besides the desired one for over 3 weeks.

In order to be 100% certain on the father, you would have to keep the hens separated from all males besides the desired one for over 3 weeks.

If you can recognize which chicks have which father, you have the option of just hatching a bunch of eggs and culling the ones that had the wrong father. There are several reasons why it's not usually practical, but in some rare cases it does work. (Example: a silkie cross if all hens and all other possible roosters were 4-toed and non-crested. It would be pretty obvious which chicks had the Silkie father, because they'd have crests and extra toes.)

It's fine, I know how I can work it next spring. And I'd rather not find someone with other chickens, because the risk of disease.

Back
Top Bottom