Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
I've gotten some beastly birds from that crossing.
View attachment 3270312View attachment 3270317View attachment 3270321
Do you have any goals for colored eggs?
Actually no, the whole idea started from your project and from the little chick that i hatched in the last batch (he was a mistake, i only wanted pure brahma, but i guess my ER girl got in his way.)
The chick that hatched is very similar to the one in the attached picture hredirect2.jpg
He is almost perfect, high long straigt tail like his EE mom, fully feathered legs, cute beard, but i think she is lacking in the body area, she seems to be more fragile, small boned than a normal brahma pullet, so i will try to correct this.
Egg wise, my EE hen lays blueish eggs, so if it gene will be passed it will be a bonus , but not mandatory for me.

Actually no, the whole idea started from your project and from the little chick that i hatched in the last batch (he was a mistake, i only wanted pure brahma, but i guess my ER girl got in his way.)
The chick that hatched is very similar to the one in the attached pictureView attachment 3270339
He is almost perfect, high long straigt tail like his EE mom, fully feathered legs, cute beard, but i think she is lacking in the body area, she seems to be more fragile, small boned than a normal brahma pullet, so i will try to correct this.
Egg wise, my EE hen lays blueish eggs, so if it gene will be passed it will be a bonus , but not mandatory for me.
She's cute.
Do you have an F1 male to cross her too?

Sadly no, but i've separeted my EE hen, until she is cleansed internally (i've got multiple roosters) and i will cross her to my best white brahma roosters, in hopes that maybe i will get a cockerel that inherited the size of his father and the specific futures of the EE hen.
Always good to have a back up rooster.

Do you have their height, & weight?

Always good to have a back up rooster.

Do you have their height, & weight?
Height i dont really know it but i would say he may be around 40-45cm?
Weight 5 kilograms.
I think this is quite average for a brahma, but i like that he is calm, friendly and a gentleman. The flock is big so i will put a disclaimer that he is not really eating non-stop, his is sharing most of his food with his brothers and his hens so his genes might allow him to get bigger (weight wise) cause he is already almost 2 so i dont think that he will be taller.
What is your experience with the brahma breed? Did your best brahma roosters get bigger? Did you see height changes in brahma roosters after 2 years? Can the height be affected by lack of protein and certain vitamins during his *teens*?

Height i dont really know it but i would say he may be around 40-45cm?
Weight 5 kilograms.
I think this is quite average for a brahma, but i like that he is calm, friendly and a gentleman. The flock is big so i will put a disclaimer that he is not really eating non-stop, his is sharing most of his food with his brothers and his hens so his genes might allow him to get bigger (weight wise) cause he is already almost 2 so i dont think that he will be taller.
What is your experience with the brahma breed? Did your best brahma roosters get bigger? Did you see height changes in brahma roosters after 2 years? Can the height be affected by lack of protein and certain vitamins during his *teens*?
I can't give an answer for Brahma roosters, since I've only had hens. My largest Brahma hen, which I have right now is about 10lbs, she's 2yrs, & fully matured.
Protein level I feed is 20% - 22%.

I can't give an answer for Brahma roosters, since I've only had hens. My largest Brahma hen, which I have right now is about 10lbs, she's 2yrs, & fully matured.
Protein level I feed is 20% - 22%.
Yes so if your hen is 10lbs, i would say that my rooster is average, given the fact that he is 11lbs.
I still think his parents were a bit above avarage birds, but i sold his better looking brothers and sisters

That's a good sized bird.
Yes he is, but i got a bit carried away with the expectations since im kinda new with the breed, i went at a convention and i saw a 90+/100 score brahma roo 14+ pounds, fluffy feathers so subconsciously i compare my roos with the one i saw hopefully in the future after adding some new blood i will be able to create a bloodline that will set a standard of being at that level.

Yes he is, but i got a bit carried away with the expectations since im kinda new with the breed, i went at a convention and i saw a 90+/100 score brahma roo 14+ pounds, fluffy feathers so subconsciously i compare my roos with the one i saw hopefully in the future after adding some new blood i will be able to create a bloodline that will set a standard of being at that level.
That's a big boy for sure.

If you want birds that get that size only select the largest offspring, or breed in a heavier breed to help increase the size. If you breed in a heavier breed, be sure to back cross to the purebred to retain those traits.

Back
Top Bottom