Growing Spur on Chicken

chickneggs

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2013
UpNorth ☀️
I have a game hen who has a fast growing spur. I have trimmed it a couple times, using dog nail clippers (works great!). I had just recently tried taking in another hen which ended rough; this game hen and her got into it bad. They've been separated for good. Getting both of those thoughts out, I just went out to find the game hen holding her foot up and limping. I realized the spur had grown fast and this time into her leg (just leaving a dent - nothing extreme), but that she does have some swelling and bruising on her foot.

Could the swelling/bruising be from the little bit of pressure the spur was causing to her leg or could it just be from the hens fighting (which was 10 days ago)? She seemed to be walking fine after the fight (her head was a bit bruised though, but is healing well), but maybe I saw wrong. I still only have six chickens, so not too many to keep track of, but I worry about them like family. Really want the best for them. And I thought about getting a photo of her swelled/bruised foot, but she is a crazy game hen and clipping her spur was the limit tonight. Figured I would ask before having to bug her again...

On a positive note, I had actually taken in two chickens 10 days ago, and the Brahma fit well with my flock and her and the game hen act like buds. <3

I had a rooster whose spurs broke off, and when they grew back, they grew into the back of his legs. They were too thick to trim, so I removed them by twisting them with pliers, leaving the inner nubs. He was fine after that. They grew back slowly, and I kept them trimmed. Bruising is usually green in chickens.

I had a rooster whose spurs broke off, and when they grew back, they grew into the back of his legs. They were too thick to trim, so I removed them by twisting them with pliers, leaving the inner nubs. He was fine after that. They grew back slowly, and I kept them trimmed. Bruising is usually green in chickens.
Wow, thank you for the information. I'm definitely not looking at bruising then, but maybe dark sores. Her being a game hen, she's a little crazy when I get close to her... (and even crazier if I can catch her). Perhaps another chicken was picking on her as the new weak link and she's found solitude with the new chicken. Def makes sense. I just need to keep her safe until her wounds heal and the swelling goes down. And I will for sure keep checking on her spur. The one is the only issue. But seeing it grow into her leg had me worried; never dealt with that before. Glad I can confirm the obvious.

I feel bad for her as my other game hen, her sister, passed away a few weeks ago. Still not sure what had happened, but I think I had a mite issue for the first time ever. :( As fast as I realized what was going on, she was gone. Tried killing them as I was told, but she was too far gone. The game hens hung out together... I tried taking in another one that initially had been with both of mine, but my last lone game hen kicked the other game hen's butt. So I had to return her ASAP to who was rehoming her (she is doing good again). Thankfully the Brahma worked out and the game hen can find peace with her. Besides trying to keep a happy flock, I like to have a certain number of birds for their warmth... These Michigan winters have been brutal. Woke up to -8 degrees today. :hmm

What happened to the pics?
Scrolled by late last night and wanted to look closer.
I deleted them since I could get better ones today... And now seeing it in the daylight, I'm thinking it might be frostbite. Forget all I was worried about yesterday... She actually stayed still so I could get a better look. My thoughts yesterday were crazy and based off past worries. :( Now I'm not sure what to do with this issue... Never dealt with frostbite on their feet.
10FAED70-2B36-4AE4-8EC2-CA4673AAE65A.jpeg

Oh, no, that is too bad, but you may be right about frostbite. It would be best to bring her inside to treat her. You can soak the legs daily in warm Epsom salts water, or in chlorhexidene, betadine, or dish soap. Do not massage or rub the frostbitten skin. Then use Vetericyn to cover the affected area. It looks possible that a toe or two on the other foot might be affected as well, but you might tell more in a few days. She might lose all the toes on her left foot, but it takes some time to see the damage.

Here are the ones I deleted... Thank you for your thoughts. I did go out and get Vetericyn and talked to one of the woman at the farm store. My game hen is now inside until I can get this healed. I'm so thankful that it's not as bad as it could be. Hoping I caught it soon enough. Love my chickens like family and wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I've dealt with a bout of frost bite before and it is painful!
766C1659-6AC4-4827-8621-AC1CA8158A1D_1_201_a.jpeg
2D862D8B-D08A-4CAE-B9D0-7FE08CEEA800_1_201_a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom