Growing up! Start adult food?

Edie53

Chirping
Apr 28, 2019
I’m raising 8 layers & 17 meat chickens together. They’re 5 weeks old now, eating a few handfuls of scratch (as a treat), vegie scraps, & unmedicated chick starter.

I think in another week it’s time to start them on grown up food? When I switch, should I mix the chick starter w/the adult food and change them over gradually? like over a week’s time?
Or should I just dump the adult food on top of what’s left of the chick starter & go for it?

And is it okay for them to eat the same food or should I separate the two groups?

Also, what protein content should I look for?

I’m raising 8 layers & 17 meat chickens together. They’re 5 weeks old now, eating a few handfuls of scratch (as a treat), vegie scraps, & unmedicated chick starter.

I think in another week it’s time to start them on grown up food? When I switch, should I mix the chick starter w/the adult food and change them over gradually? like over a week’s time?
Or should I just dump the adult food on top of what’s left of the chick starter & go for it?

And is it okay for them to eat the same food or should I separate the two groups?

Also, what protein content should I look for?
You actually need to keep giving them the chick starter until they start laying eggs. That’s what I have always been told at the feed store.

For meat chickens, high protein chick food should be fed until processing. The chicks seem a little young to be starting scratch and veggies, but if you are only giving them small amounts, and they have grit, they should be ok. For your layers, keep them on chick food until they start laying or 16 weeks. It should say on the back of your feed bag when to stop feeding them chick food, it depends on the brand sometimes. You may need to separate due to the protein requirements, but it's up to you. I would gradually switch them from one feed to another, but it isn't a huge difference. Hope this helps!

For meat chickens, high protein chick food should be fed until processing. The chicks seem a little young to be starting scratch and veggies, but if you are only giving them small amounts, and they have grit, they should be ok. For your layers, keep them on chick food until they start laying or 16 weeks. It should say on the back of your feed bag when to stop feeding them chick food, it depends on the brand sometimes. You may need to separate due to the protein requirements, but it's up to you. I would gradually switch them from one feed to another, but it isn't a huge difference. Hope this helps!

Great, thanks! I read some older posts in this forum & yeah, I should keep them on starter. They LOVE the scratch (3-4 handfuls a day) and fresh vegie scraps (only two people, so we don’t generate a ton of scraps).

Awesome! You can also supplement your meat birds with sprouted barley (when they are older) to help give them a little more protein.

You can use a flock raiser or an all Flock feed. Both usually contain around 20% protein. I am guessing you will have processed your meat birds before the others start laying.
Your starter and grower feeds are very similar to the two I listed also and great choices. I would not give treats every day.

You can use a flock raiser or an all Flock feed. Both usually contain around 20% protein. I am guessing you will have processed your meat birds before the others start laying.
Your starter and grower feeds are very similar to the two I listed also and great choices. I would not give treats every day.

Ohhh, I have been spoiling mine! I’ll try to restrict the treats :)
Thanks for the ideas on feed. Yes, the meaties will be processed before the girls start laying

Back
Top Bottom