Grubterra

mj0

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
SE Ohio
does anyone feed grubterra rather than oyster shells? I just started on the grubterra and just wonder what amount is good for a flock of 15 ladies? I've been giving them a 10oz mug in the evening kinda feel like that is too much...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-192500_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-192500_Google.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 37
does anyone feed grubterra rather than oyster shells?
Oyster shells are a good source of calcium for chickens. Black soldier fly larvae are not.

https://grubterra.com/collections/all-product/products/grubterra-5lb-black-soldier-fly-larvae
According to the nutrition facts on the package, they have a calcium content between 2% and 5%.
If laying hens ate NOTHING but those larvae, they might not get enough calcium.
(And a diet of 100% fly larvae is definitely not properly balanced. It would also be very expensive.)
Yes, that site brags about the fly larvae having a lot more calcium than mealworms. Even if that is true it is very misleading: neither one provides enough calcium to make much difference in the diet of a chicken.

I suggest you provide a dish of oyster shell at all times, so your chickens can eat it when they need calcium. Oyster shell is fairly cheap, does not spoil, and chickens are usually quite good at eating the correct amount. Use the black soldier fly larvae as a treat.

does anyone feed grubterra rather than oyster shells? I just started on the grubterra and just wonder what amount is good for a flock of 15 ladies? I've been giving them a 10oz mug in the evening kinda feel like that is too much...
Yes, I used grubterra for a while now, and I Love it so far! Gives my chickies the protein and calcium they need as they grow. They are much bigger now, and it was a good transitional food from just the commercial feed they were getting as babies.
I am just like you before wondering about the quantity I will give to my girls, but I reach out to them, and advise me to give a handful of grubs a day is enough for 5chickens. So in your case, you should give 3 handfuls a day for your 15 girls.

If you want to know more about their grubs, you can check it out here.
https://grubterra.com/blogs/blogpage/what-are-black-soldier-fly-larvae

Agree that a handful is all you want to give, as a treat/supplement…too much fat otherwise…but while they have calcium, they’re not meant to be a replacement for OTHER supplements, such as oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom