Guess the Breed--Horse!

By all means if you know his "breed" put it out there!
big_smile.png

By all means if you know his "breed" put it out there!
big_smile.png
I hadn't even thought about the breed, 'cause I immediately saw the two different colors and new what it was. I've seen thousands and thousands of horses in my lifetime and I've only ever seen one other with this condition.

-Kathy

Oh, cool. Well, he's a breeding stallion so maybe he will pass on this mutation. I don't know anything about it other than what it's called and what it means, so not sure if it's genetic or not---maybe not. Interesting that you see it in Peafowl.
smile.png

Oh, cool. Well, he's a breeding stallion so maybe he will pass on this mutation. I don't know anything about it other than what it's called and what it means, so not sure if it's genetic or not---maybe not. Interesting that you see it in Peafowl.
smile.png
I don't know that anyone has actually seen it in peafowl, we were just talking about the possibility. Seems there are many color mutation in peafowl, so it's very possible.

-Kathy

Not sure why you are calling Acorado II a type and not a breed. Unless you mean that Holsteiner's are warmbloods, in which case you are right.

The marking on him, commonly called a blood mark, thought to be caused by a somatic mutation. Which if I remember correctly, basically turns one or more genes off in a given area.

For example, this is a bay horse turning grey. If we think of grey as a layer on the horse, the area of the mutation will turn off the grey layer, but only in that area. It happens in many animals, so I imagine it can happen in birds.

If you can find me something credible that proves other wise, then I would stand corrected. The only horses I know of that are scientifically proven to be chimera are Dunbars Gold and Sharp One - both brindle AQHA registered. Both thought to be different types of chimera. This was discovered due to the blood typing required for parentage by the association. Which I believe the Holsteiner association s require blood typing for parentage.and given how popular a stallion he is, we would have most likely heard of it by now.

That's not to say all brindles are chimeric. Or all chimeric are brindle.

This marking is not exclusive to him. Look up thoroughbred Laska de Thaix or Arabian Warface.

Back
Top Bottom