Guys? Confusion? 🤔

What a cutie that little frizzle is! I'm so sorry you lost your hen, though. :hugs

Pictures would help of the new little one, but best wait until it's fully fluffed for a more accurate assessment. Based on the description, though, it's possible that the little one is recessive white, which can sometimes let a grayish color through in the chick down that's similar to Splash in appearance.
Just attached pictures 😊- I've had a baby like that before that grew up white in a silkie- i say splash in this because of the blue/multi-colored beak.

Interesting, that does look more like Splash than like recessive white... 🤔 Looking back at the pictures you posted of your rooster's stray colored feathers, they do look bluish to me. My assumption at this point would be that your White flock is hiding Blue or Splash underneath their white exteriors.

Interesting, that does look more like Splash than like recessive white... 🤔 Looking back at the pictures you posted of your rooster's stray colored feathers, they do look bluish to me. My assumption at this point would be that your White flock is hiding Blue or Splash underneath their white exteriors.
Would this cause an issue in breeding the offspring- I've got some chocolate cochin chicks and i thought about putting the blue frizzle and now maybe the splash with them, would it work the same way as normal?
Or no since they came from white parents?

Coming from what appears to have been a recessive White parent means that they will carry a recessive white gene and pass it on to some of their offspring, so White might pop up in future generations from that pen if you use those birds. But that's the only real side effect from that, and otherwise breeding them with your Chocolates should work just the same as if they'd come from a BBS pen, yes. I would not consider that an issue, personally, but it would depend on your preferences for your pens, of course. 🙂

Coming from what appears to have been a recessive White parent means that they will carry a recessive white gene and pass it on to some of their offspring, so White might pop up in future generations from that pen if you use those birds. But that's the only real side effect from that, and otherwise breeding them with your Chocolates should work just the same as if they'd come from a BBS pen, yes. I would not consider that an issue, personally, but it would depend on your preferences for your pens, of course. 🙂
As long as it works and I'm not making a mess of genetics I'm all in- You say it'd work the same as bbs? What about the Blue x Chocolate= Mauve thing?
I'm wanting some Mauves, and throwing the blue frizzle I have in the future has me hoping for some mauve frizzles.

My best theory is the rooster is heterozygous for dominant white and is splash underneath (unless you’ve had black chicks, then he’s blue underneath). This is the only way I think this would work, if not all the random coloured chicks are from the same hen.

As long as it works and I'm not making a mess of genetics I'm all in- You say it'd work the same as bbs? What about the Blue x Chocolate= Mauve thing?
I'm wanting some Mauves, and throwing the blue frizzle I have in the future has me hoping for some mauve frizzles.

Yeah, Mauve is the combination of both blue and chocolate genes expressing. Chocolate is sexlinked, so how it's inherited depends on whether the male or the female is the Chocolate individual in the pairing. To make Mauves right away, you want a Chocolate male:

Chocolate male x Blue female = 25% Black males carrying chocolate, 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Chocolate females, and 25% Mauve females
Chocolate male x Splash female = 50% Blue males carrying chocolate, 50% Mauve females

The other way around, you don't get any Mauves in the first generation cross, but could use the male offspring from such a cross to make Mauves in the future:

Blue male x Chocolate female = 25% Black males carrying chocolate, 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Black females, 25% Blue females.
Splash male x Chocolate female = 50% Blue males carrying chocolate, 50% Blue females

Remember that females cannot carry the chocolate gene, so in this second set of birds only the males carry the chocolate gene and the females do not have it at all!

To get Mauve males, you'll have to do an additional cross, either using any of the males carrying chocolate crossed to the Mauve females, or using the Blue males carrying chocolate crossed to Chocolate females.

Black male carrying chocolate x Mauve female = 25% Blue offspring, 25% Black offspring, 25% Chocolate offspring, and 25% Mauve offpsring, in each case of both sexes.
Blue male carrying chocolate x Mauve female = 25% Blue offspring, 25% Mauve offspring, 12.5% Splash offspring, 12.5% Mauve Splash offspring, 12.5% Black offspring, and 12.5% Chocolate offspring, in each case of both sexes.

Blue male carrying chocolate x Chocolate female = the exact same results as the Black male carrying chocolate x Mauve female.

Now, having your Blues and Splashes that potentially carry recessive white in there means that whites could pop up in this generation of crossings in addition to the colors listed. Effectively, you'd have the same ratios of each color that I listed, but about one quarter of each color would express White instead if both parents in the cross happen to carry recessive white.

And, about equal numbers of each color should be frizzled and non-frizzled from each cross where your frizzle is involved, assuming that you always cross frizzle to smooth as is always recommended.

My best theory is the rooster is heterozygous for dominant white and is splash underneath (unless you’ve had black chicks, then he’s blue underneath). This is the only way I think this would work, if not all the random coloured chicks are from the same hen.

I agree with this as well. 🙂

Yeah, Mauve is the combination of both blue and chocolate genes expressing. Chocolate is sexlinked, so how it's inherited depends on whether the male or the female is the Chocolate individual in the pairing. To make Mauves right away, you want a Chocolate male:

Chocolate male x Blue female = 25% Black males carrying chocolate, 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Chocolate females, and 25% Mauve females
Chocolate male x Splash female = 50% Blue males carrying chocolate, 50% Mauve females

The other way around, you don't get any Mauves in the first generation cross, but could use the male offspring from such a cross to make Mauves in the future:

Blue male x Chocolate female = 25% Black males carrying chocolate, 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Black females, 25% Blue females.
Splash male x Chocolate female = 50% Blue males carrying chocolate, 50% Blue females

Remember that females cannot carry the chocolate gene, so in this second set of birds only the males carry the chocolate gene and the females do not have it at all!

To get Mauve males, you'll have to do an additional cross, either using any of the males carrying chocolate crossed to the Mauve females, or using the Blue males carrying chocolate crossed to Chocolate females.

Black male carrying chocolate x Mauve female = 25% Blue offspring, 25% Black offspring, 25% Chocolate offspring, and 25% Mauve offpsring, in each case of both sexes.
Blue male carrying chocolate x Mauve female = 25% Blue offspring, 25% Mauve offspring, 12.5% Splash offspring, 12.5% Mauve Splash offspring, 12.5% Black offspring, and 12.5% Chocolate offspring, in each case of both sexes.

Blue male carrying chocolate x Chocolate female = the exact same results as the Black male carrying chocolate x Mauve female.

Now, having your Blues and Splashes that potentially carry recessive white in there means that whites could pop up in this generation of crossings in addition to the colors listed. Effectively, you'd have the same ratios of each color that I listed, but about one quarter of each color would express White instead if both parents in the cross happen to carry recessive white.

And, about equal numbers of each color should be frizzled and non-frizzled from each cross where your frizzle is involved, assuming that you always cross frizzle to smooth as is always recommended.

I agree with this as well. 🙂
Keeping track of this- what if i had a mauve in with the blues and chocolates originally for breeding?
Edited to add splash with the bunch too.

Starting with a Mauve male crossed to Blue or Splash females would be about the same as starting with a Chocolate male in the same cross. The only difference is that both parents in these crosses carry at least one blue gene, so you get some Splashes / Mauve Splashes and fewer Blacks / Chocolates.

Mauve male x Blue female = 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 12.5% Black males carrying chocolate, 12.5% Splash males carrying chocolate, 25% Mauve females, 12.5% Chocolate females, 12.5% Mauve Splash females.

Mauve male x Splash female = 25% Blue males carrying chocolate, 25% Splash males carrying chocolate, 25% Mauve females, 25% Mauve Splash females.

Crossing Mauve to Chocolate will get you Mauves of both sexes regardless of whether the Mauve is the male or female in the cross. Since both parents express the chocolate gene, all offspring inherit enough copies of the gene to express it as well. So all that's left is the inheritance of the partial dominant blue gene. From that, you end up with equal numbers of Mauve and Chocolate in the offspring, regardless of sex.

Similarly to the male version, with a Mauve female crossed to a non-chocolate-carrying Blue or Splash male, it's almost the same as with a Chocolate female in the same crossing. You'd get males carrying the chocolate gene without expressing it, and females that are just basic Blue, Black, or Splash. But again, since both parents carry at least one blue gene in this case, your percentage of Black offspring goes down slightly and is replaced by the possibility of getting Splashes as well.

Blue male (not carrying chocolate) x Mauve female = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash, equal numbers in both sexes with all males carrying chocolate.

Splash male (not carrying chocolate) x Mauve female = 50% Blue and 50% Splash, again equal numbers in both sexes and all males carrying chocolate.

Sorry if I’ve missed something but where has mauve and chocolate come into the conversation? Is it theoretical or do you have some chocolate chicks?

Back
Top Bottom