Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

I'm on Day 14. Candled eggs tonight...

Confirmed that none of the store bought eggs are developing. I had left 3 of them in that I wasn't sure about.... I am finally certain they are not fertilized.

As for the 5 eggs from my girls, I have 2 that might be quitters. One looks like it might have a blood ring. The other one I'm not sure about... Given that it is Day 14,most of the egg should be dark, right? This egg looks clear except for a dime sized dark spot that is clearly visible. So I'm guessing that it died somewhere after I candled on Day 7?

The other 3 look like dark blobs. I'm terrified of killing them inadvertently so I didn't take pictures or even leave them out long enough to see if they were moving at all. I will candle them again in a few days before lockdown.

I'm a little bummed that I'm only getting 3 chicks out of 7 eggs from my girls... 😟

:hugs It's ok! Lower fertility rates in the winter are common. It's part of why I skip hatching this time of year (that and I need a break because I hatch non-stop all spring and summer, lol). From your description, it does sound like you have one that quit in early incubation. They will vary in size a bit but should all be somewhat similar. Here are a few day 15 candling images, yours should be similar.

2-13-20 Day 15 Salmon Faverolle 2.jpg
2-13-20 Day 15 Salmon Faverolle Bubbles.jpg
2-13-20 Day 15 Salmon Faverolle.jpg

I'm on Day 14. Candled eggs tonight...

Confirmed that none of the store bought eggs are developing. I had left 3 of them in that I wasn't sure about.... I am finally certain they are not fertilized.

As for the 5 eggs from my girls, I have 2 that might be quitters. One looks like it might have a blood ring. The other one I'm not sure about... Given that it is Day 14,most of the egg should be dark, right? This egg looks clear except for a dime sized dark spot that is clearly visible. So I'm guessing that it died somewhere after I candled on Day 7?

The other 3 look like dark blobs. I'm terrified of killing them inadvertently so I didn't take pictures or even leave them out long enough to see if they were moving at all. I will candle them again in a few days before lockdown.

I'm a little bummed that I'm only getting 3 chicks out of 7 eggs from my girls... 😟
Some hatches are rougher than others. I feel you. :hugs

:hugs It's ok! Lower fertility rates in the winter are common. It's part of why I skip hatching this time of year (that and I need a break because I hatch non-stop all spring and summer, lol). From your description, it does sound like you have one that quit in early incubation. They will vary in size a bit but should all be somewhat similar. Here are a few day 15 candling images, yours should be similar.

View attachment 2484738View attachment 2484739View attachment 2484740

I may try to take some pictures tonight... I can't see any of mine as clearly as yours above. I can't see any veins at all in any of the eggs. Just dark blobs. My eggs would either be Rhode Island Reds or Buff Orpingtons. All my eggs are a light tan in color. You wouldn't think they would be that hard to see through....

My goal is to purchase some Silkie hatching eggs, but since this was my first time ever incubating anything...I thought it was wise to start with my own eggs. Kinda glad I did so I can get my "incubation" legs under me.

Anyone ever raised 3 baby chicks and have them integrate to the flock okay? I've only integrated large batches (20+) of juveniles or adults (6+) at a time.

I may try to take some pictures tonight... I can't see any of mine as clearly as yours above. I can't see any veins at all in any of the eggs. Just dark blobs. My eggs would either be Rhode Island Reds or Buff Orpingtons. All my eggs are a light tan in color. You wouldn't think they would be that hard to see through....

My goal is to purchase some Silkie hatching eggs, but since this was my first time ever incubating anything...I thought it was wise to start with my own eggs. Kinda glad I did so I can get my "incubation" legs under me.

Anyone ever raised 3 baby chicks and have them integrate to the flock okay? I've only integrated large batches (20+) of juveniles or adults (6+) at a time.
Yikes. Remind me again what day your eggs are on? Edit: nevermind. Just scrolled back. Day 14 (15 now).

Last edited:

Where do you brood them? I do it in the coop and integration usually goes pretty smoothly, though admittedly I usually do it in batches of 8-12. My broodies have successfully done as few as 1 at a time.

I'd agree exposure is key for successful integration. Since you won't have safety in numbers to rely on. We have an old rabbit hutch we put them in once they're off heat. It's crowded but it's also only a week or so. Once the initial excitement is over we let them out.

If you have any bullies maybe sperate them temporarily. I have a Barred rock hen who is terrible to new birds of all ages. Second worst bird I've had in 10 years of chicken keeping. First prize goes to a rooster who killed my favorite hen. Anyways I haven't had much opportunity to sort it out thoroughly but that's my plan for this year. Put the chicks in the rabbit hutch as usual. When it's time for them to come out with the flock I'll put her in it for a few days. Then play it by ear.

Keep in mind that I use a high lumen flashlight to candle my eggs so you may be able to see more than with a typical candler. Also some shells are just thicker and harder to see through even when they're lighter in color.

As far as integrating just 3 chicks, that's usually what I do! I tend to sell most of my chicks and will just keep a few at a time. After 2-3 weeks indoors I then move the chicks to brood outdoors, side by side with my adult flock where they can see each other but can't touch. I also put their feeders right next to each other on opposite sides of the hardware cloth because I feel like around the feeders is where a lot of the bickering can happen.

You can see the size I integrated these 3 after homing them side by side for some weeks. There were almost no issues with integration but I do have a very docile flock.
chickens (14).JPG
chickens (18).JPG
chickens (24).JPG

As far as integrating just 3 chicks, that's usually what I do! I tend to sell most of my chicks and will just keep a few at a time. After 2-3 weeks indoors I then move the chicks to brood outdoors, side by side with my adult flock where they can see each other but can't touch. I also put their feeders right next to each other on opposite sides of the hardware cloth because I feel like around the feeders is where a lot of the bickering can happen.

You can see the size I integrated these 3 after homing them side by side for some weeks. There were almost no issues with integration but I do have a very docile flock.
View attachment 2484907View attachment 2484908View attachment 2484909
Jumping in on your thread here! How long did you have them side-by-side before you tried putting them together? Looks like they are about eight weeks old give or take, is that correct? I have the same issue three chicks that I’m planning to move outside soon in a separate area right next to the existing coop as you describe. Just wondering when to try putting them together.😊

I am hatching some Buff Orphingtons and reds also right now. I’m on the same day as you and I can see veins similar to the pictures that were posted for an example. I can also see the chick move. Are you using the light on the incubator? I find it really hard to see with it. I use an egg candler I bought on Amazon and can see much better with it. If I use the incubator light with these eggs I can’t make much out other than a dark area.

Jumping in on your thread here! How long did you have them side-by-side before you tried putting them together? Looks like they are about eight weeks old give or take, is that correct? I have the same issue three chicks that I’m planning to move outside soon in a separate area right next to the existing coop as you describe. Just wondering when to try putting them together.😊

Yep, I hatched them on 8/1/2020 and these pictures were taken on 10/9/2020 BUT this wasn't the day I integrated, it was a week or so after actually. I have integrated chicks much younger without issue as well. I just wasn't in a rush to move these chicks out. In the below picture you'll see an assortment of ages that I integrated, almost always in threes. The 3 youngest are with a broody hen, there are also some 5 week olds and 8-10 week olds...I hatch a lot of chicks and therefor I can't keep them in the transition pen for very long if I have new ones coming it. Silkies are the exception to the rule, I DID have problems integrating them too early, they're not smart enough to get out of the way so it's better to plan on raising them side by side until they're much older. Again, your flock dynamic will make a difference, how this will work out for each flock will always vary but I don't tolerate bullies so I don't have any in my flock.

6-7-19 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom