Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

If the eggs truly got that cold, 20*, wouldn't they have frozen solid and cracked open their shells? I've collected a few like that in my coop that were laid in the afternoon or evening then hit freezing temps overnight.

Yes, I don't think they actually froze. None of them were cracked or split. I will candle them for the first time in a few hours.

If they were left in the car, they would have had some insulation from the car itself and then the packing materials which might have kept them above freezing. That's not even taking into the possibility that the car was in a garage or covered area....

The egg cartons were cold to the touch. Definitely colder the the packing box itself but not so cold that it felt like it had just come out of the refrigerator or something. If I were to make an educated guess on the surface temperature, I would have guessed around 45 - 50 degrees. Maybe slightly higher...

Well, the good news is that the post office found my eggs. They didn't call me, however....so if I hadn't called them again, they probably would have held them until tomorrow. I drove down there and picked them up. I got there right as they were closing the doors.... Grrr.... I think the guy locking the door could tell that I was going to go ape if he didn't let me in. The eggs were packaged REALLY well, but the materials feel cold so clearly the carrier left them in his car overnight. Hopefully it won't have a negative impact on viability. I think it got down to 20 degrees last night. Maybe a little colder with the windchill.

The other good news is that AS sent me a full 22 eggs to make up for their mistake. I only ordered 12 so now I'm going to have a LOT of Silkies, if they all hatch. ha ha.... DH suggested I should probably sell some chicks if all 22 hatch. I doubt I'll get that lucky...but fingers are crossed!

Now.....where is that bottle of wine I had? It's been a heck of a day.....
Sorry you had to go through all of this! Glad you finally got your eggs. I got my breeding stock from Alabama Silkies last year and the folks there are wonderful and the eggs were the best packaged I’ve ever seen. Coming all the way to Hawaii 14 out of 16 hatched. Best hatch rate ever on shipped eggs that I’ve had. Hope this gives you some reassurance.🥰

Well, the good news is that the post office found my eggs. They didn't call me, however....so if I hadn't called them again, they probably would have held them until tomorrow. I drove down there and picked them up. I got there right as they were closing the doors.... Grrr.... I think the guy locking the door could tell that I was going to go ape if he didn't let me in. The eggs were packaged REALLY well, but the materials feel cold so clearly the carrier left them in his car overnight. Hopefully it won't have a negative impact on viability. I think it got down to 20 degrees last night. Maybe a little colder with the windchill.

The other good news is that AS sent me a full 22 eggs to make up for their mistake. I only ordered 12 so now I'm going to have a LOT of Silkies, if they all hatch. ha ha.... DH suggested I should probably sell some chicks if all 22 hatch. I doubt I'll get that lucky...but fingers are crossed!

Now.....where is that bottle of wine I had? It's been a heck of a day.....

What an ordeal! I'm sorry you went through that but I'm glad you finally got them! Fingers crossed for your hatch!

Ok....eggs are all unwrapped and resting. AS sent an instruction sheet on hatching their eggs. I have two questions while I wait...

1. They recommend setting humidity at 60% for the first 18 days (humidity safe zone is identified as 50-65%). And then upping the humidity to 62-65% during lockdown.

For those of you who have hatched Silkies previously, does that sound right? When I did my first batch of eggs (regular standard layers), I think it was suggested that my humidity be around 45%? I know humidity is a variable and subject to personal opinion but that seems like a wide swing to me.....

2. They adamantly state you SHOULD NOT OPEN TO CANDLE eggs during the first 18 days.

Naturally I know that any temperature or humidity fluctuations can cause an egg to die so I presume they are just trying to avoid potential mishaps by discouraging candling....would that be your interpretation? Is there something different about incubating Silkies that should preclude someone from candling them for progress?

I've hatched plenty of Silkies and in my opinion anything over 55% humidity for the first 18 days is too high. I ALWAYS candle my eggs before setting them and I candle as often as I want after that, I just make sure to thoroughly wash my hands before handling the eggs.

Surface of carton or surface of eggs?

The surface temperature of the carton. At that point I hadn't unwrapped the carton yet which was taped shut with Priority Mail tape. Each egg was individually wrapped in bubble wrap too. So the cold would have had to penetrate the car, box, newspaper, egg carton, and bubble wrap before affecting the egg. Naturally it is possible that they could have frozen but I'm hoping there were enough air gapped boundaries to act as a sufficient barrier which prevented it.

I've hatched plenty of Silkies and in my opinion anything over 55% humidity for the first 18 days is too high. I ALWAYS candle my eggs before setting them and I candle as often as I want after that, I just make sure to thoroughly wash my hands before handling the eggs.

I did try to candle them before setting to check for detached air cells but I was having a hard time finding the air cell at all. These eggs are white or light cream so the trouble is purely my fault. I just decided I'm too exhausted for my brain to work properly this evening. I went ahead and set the eggs and went to bed (which is where I'm currently posting instead of putting my phone up and going to bed.... 😂 )

Ok....eggs are all unwrapped and resting. AS sent an instruction sheet on hatching their eggs. I have two questions while I wait...

1. They recommend setting humidity at 60% for the first 18 days (humidity safe zone is identified as 50-65%). And then upping the humidity to 62-65% during lockdown.

For those of you who have hatched Silkies previously, does that sound right? When I did my first batch of eggs (regular standard layers), I think it was suggested that my humidity be around 45%? I know humidity is a variable and subject to personal opinion but that seems like a wide swing to me.....

2. They adamantly state you SHOULD NOT OPEN TO CANDLE eggs during the first 18 days.

Naturally I know that any temperature or humidity fluctuations can cause an egg to die so I presume they are just trying to avoid potential mishaps by discouraging candling....would that be your interpretation? Is there something different about incubating Silkies that should preclude someone from candling them for progress?
Honestly I did not follow their instructions at all, I think they write it up for everyone, so that new beginners without any help or resources, don't mess it up. When I hatched mine from them last year, I did 45% during incubation and upped it during lockdown. I candled them frequently! Maybe all 16 would have hatched if I had followed their instructions.🤣
My current silkie hatch (second generation), which are hatching right now, incubated "dry" with humidity as low as 25%, but averaging 35-45%.
I do all my hatches dry now and use air cell size to determine if humidity needs to be adjusted.😊

I had a few minutes between meetings so I jumped in the car and drove to the Post Office. They STILL can't find my package. He said I had TWO packages to be delivered yesterday. He was under the impression that the carrier had delivered one of the packages yesterday. I told him no packages were delivered. The oversized package was delivered this morning, but not the eggs. He said that they have been trying to reach the carrier who delivered yesterday and that individual has not returned their calls. They don't know where the package was placed at this point.... Omg....I am so livid. So not only did Alabama Silkies completely delete my order...but then attempted to "make it right" by fulfilling the order right away and including some extra special stuff....only to have the friggin' post office lose/steal my package. I just can't win.
Oh wow I am sorry you are going through all of this. I have only ordered chicks by mail twice and even though they arrived safe but for me the whole waiting is a nerve wracking. Last time I ordered the PO employee keep telling me she didn't see any package for me. I keep telling her the tracking said it was delivered at post office and to check in the back. She ended up going because i told her if my chicks don't make it because her laziness I will file a complaint. You can imagine her face when she went to check and returned with my package with chicks. I really hope everything works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom