Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

My brooder isn’t full but it will have 4 week old chicks when my next batch hatch. I have a temporary brooder I use during lockdown that will do in a pinch. Say I keep them a week in that, can I add 1 week old babies with 5 week old hoodlums?
4 weeks is a lot of difference at that age! 5 week old hoodlums are just about old enough to go to the coop outside.

My brooder isn’t full but it will have 4 week old chicks when my next batch hatch. I have a temporary brooder I use during lockdown that will do in a pinch. Say I keep them a week in that, can I add 1 week old babies with 5 week old hoodlums?

5 weeks old is pushing it but I have done it. I have no concerns with 3 days old to 3 weeks old and mixing those ages but after 3 weeks they start to play fight so I would proceed with caution and just keep a very close eye to make sure nobody is getting picked on. :)

4 weeks is a lot of difference at that age! 5 week old hoodlums are just about old enough to go to the coop outside.

Good point! If it isn't cold there they may be old enough to go outside at 5 weeks. I know it's warm enough already here in Georgia for 5 week old chicks outside.

Good point! If it isn't cold there they may be old enough to go outside at 5 weeks. I know it's warm enough already here in Georgia for 5 week old chicks outside.
By the time they’re 5 weeks it should be ok. MS weather is pretty much same as GA. They will have to go out with the big chickens though, unless I get the new coop done. I’m not feeling real confident about that one.

Welcome to the world little one.

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_203610953.jpg
    IMG_20210329_203610953.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210329_203600486.jpg
    IMG_20210329_203600486.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 5
I'm using an app to keep track of my stats... I set my Easter eggs on Saturday, March 13th. The app is telling me today is Lockdown Day? Shouldn't it be tomorrow?

Yes, technically tomorrow would be lockdown, day 18. I almost always do lockdown on day 17 now though because I like to candle in the evening and set everything up. There's no harm in stopping the turner on day 17. You can just wait to increase humidity.

Whew! What a great thread this is! I’ve read thru it all, took me several days and I did skim in a few places- lol!
I’ve had my NR360 since last summer. I bought it used off of Facebook marketplace. It’s already paid for itself as the first 3 hatches went to a guy in a neighboring town who was restocking his chickens. I followed the incubator instructions but struggled with keeping the humidity constant. I erred on the high side as well, using a toothpick to prop open the lid many times to lower the humidity. Hatch rates were around 50%. Not bad but not very good either. Eggs were from my own flock - mostly RIRs with a few BO and BR crosses.
I took a long break over winter and just last week hatched my 4th batch of eggs. I did much better managing the humidity but after reading this thread, I was still too often on the high side. My hatch rate was 70% and I am happy with that overall. I had 5 late stage quitters and am hoping to reduce that number. I am setting the next hatch tonight. These eggs will be a mix of eggs from my own flock and from BR hens I used to own just a few months ago. I sold them to a lady who had a BR rooster. Now I’ve turned around and bought fertilized eggs back from her- lol!
I’m going to shoot to keep the humidity between 35-55% with the 45% target. Right now the bator runs at around 30% dry. I’m in southeast FL.
I’m very excited to try the tips I’ve read about here!

Whew! What a great thread this is! I’ve read thru it all, took me several days and I did skim in a few places- lol!
I’ve had my NR360 since last summer. I bought it used off of Facebook marketplace. It’s already paid for itself as the first 3 hatches went to a guy in a neighboring town who was restocking his chickens. I followed the incubator instructions but struggled with keeping the humidity constant. I erred on the high side as well, using a toothpick to prop open the lid many times to lower the humidity. Hatch rates were around 50%. Not bad but not very good either. Eggs were from my own flock - mostly RIRs with a few BO and BR crosses.
I took a long break over winter and just last week hatched my 4th batch of eggs. I did much better managing the humidity but after reading this thread, I was still too often on the high side. My hatch rate was 70% and I am happy with that overall. I had 5 late stage quitters and am hoping to reduce that number. I am setting the next hatch tonight. These eggs will be a mix of eggs from my own flock and from BR hens I used to own just a few months ago. I sold them to a lady who had a BR rooster. Now I’ve turned around and bought fertilized eggs back from her- lol!
I’m going to shoot to keep the humidity between 35-55% with the 45% target. Right now the bator runs at around 30% dry. I’m in southeast FL.
I’m very excited to try the tips I’ve read about here!
Like you, I have read much of this thread, but can not claim to have read all of it, it is a novel!🤣
I have similar humidity here and the NR 360 runs about 30-35% dry. If I add any water at all, it shoots up to 55%. I dry incubate most eggs, but I would like it to be around 45% for my silkie eggs. Would you mind sharing the tips you have discovered about how to achieve this? Thanks so much!😊

Back
Top Bottom