Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

ok dumb question and not sure where to ask so thought maybe here. Do chicken eggs wiggle around like I hear other people say about other eggs do when they get close to pipping? or will my egg just hang out in the same position until it starts to hatch and really work its way out of the shell? will I easily be able to hear peeps after it internally pips?

Some do wiggle, some don't, depending on how the chick is moving.
We last month had a broody give up on some of the eggs she was sitting on after the others hatched (she must have been stealing eggs causing a staggered hatch because there were way more than we remembered setting her up with, lol)
So she kicked eggs aside and we gathered them for disposal. About 4 hours later I was busy tending the little Sussex chicks in the brooder (we had to remove mom), and over a chorus of their cheeping I kept thinking I heard a smaller cheep.
I was looking all around thinking one must have gotten out. Finally my ears led me to the disposal bucket. One had pipped! She was complaining her head off in there!
So since we didn't have an incubator at hand I remembered old BYC conversations that humans are about the right temperature and one woman had put eggs in her bra during a power outage.
Forgoing the bra, I chose to hold the egg in my hands for the rest of that afternoon while she slowly hatched. When she intermittently complained too much without making progress, I cheeped encouragement at her and she would try harder. She hatched in my hands, it was a beautiful moment. I named her April after a Fairy Dragon in a book I read who complained a lot, she was hatched in the month of April and so was my little April. I can still identify her in the brooder by the tone of her complaints, she manages to sound extremely put out.
So umm, I think what I'm saying is Yeah, they definitely cheep a lot while hatching. They seem to encourage one another and hatch in groups because of it. In the past I've had lone hatchers seem to give up in the quiet after siblings were removed to the brooder. I felt like cheeping back at them really helped :)

ok dumb question and not sure where to ask so thought maybe here. Do chicken eggs wiggle around like I hear other people say about other eggs do when they get close to pipping? or will my egg just hang out in the same position until it starts to hatch and really work its way out of the shell? will I easily be able to hear peeps after it internally pips?

Sometimes you will see wiggles and sometimes you don't. It's not a definite though. Same with the peeps. Some are easier to hear than others.

ok so I put the egg in the incubator in lockdown and bumped up the humidity. well the small black hygrometers are reading 67 and 68 I think it is. My govee is reading 61/62 (right around there). I am confused since I had calibrated them all and adjusted the govee (when I did it the black ones read 76, Govee read 78 and I can adjust that in the app so that the reading will be correct so I did that). So why are they so far apart now? They are all just sitting on the base since the turner is out and spaced around the incubator a bit but would they read that different in different spots? What one do I go by? I don't want to drown the baby but I also don't want it too dry. i am so afraid of messing this up the last few days!

what range is ok? I kept seeing 65 so trying to get it exactly there but hard with them reading 5% difference between them!

ok so I put the egg in the incubator in lockdown and bumped up the humidity. well the small black hygrometers are reading 67 and 68 I think it is. My govee is reading 61/62 (right around there). I am confused since I had calibrated them all and adjusted the govee (when I did it the black ones read 76, Govee read 78 and I can adjust that in the app so that the reading will be correct so I did that). So why are they so far apart now? They are all just sitting on the base since the turner is out and spaced around the incubator a bit but would they read that different in different spots? What one do I go by? I don't want to drown the baby but I also don't want it too dry. i am so afraid of messing this up the last few days!

what range is ok? I kept seeing 65 so trying to get it exactly there but hard with them reading 5% difference between them!

Once mine started hatching, the humidity jumped up to 72-75%. The others hatched great at that humidity.

Back
Top Bottom