Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Thoughts on my last two that have not pipped:

Also, the incubator smells a little. Is that from the poo, blood & other debris that’s been stuck in the heat for 2 days? None of the eggs that are left smell bad. C5FC39C2-0736-4310-AE2A-6C89824076FD.jpeg 0126961E-9A24-49B0-8757-FE0AAEC3D5C7.jpeg 20CA8E7E-3E6C-4C71-9096-1E7B7066FD9C.jpeg 1402D68F-DBD5-4066-B91D-6255ECF492C7.jpeg

Also, the incubator smells a little. Is that from the poo, blood & other debris that’s been stuck in the heat for 2 days? None of the eggs that are left smell bad.View attachment 3102066View attachment 3102067View attachment 3102071View attachment 3102072

Did you see any movement when you candled? From the pictures, those look a lot like the three eggs that I had that didn't hatch. I left them in the incubator for another two days, but there was nothing. I should have done an eggtopsy, but I just disposed of the eggs assuming they were late stage quitters.

Did you see any movement when you candled? From the pictures, those look a lot like the three eggs that I had that didn't hatch. I left them in the incubator for another two days, but there was nothing. I should have done an eggtopsy, but I just disposed of the eggs assuming they were late stage quitters.
A was moving a bit & I thought I could see veins? H was not moving. What does an internal pip look like? It’s still only day 22 so I’m not giving up on them yet!

A was moving a bit & I thought I could see veins? H was not moving. What does an internal pip look like? It’s still only day 22 so I’m not giving up on them yet!

Yes, definitely too early to give up on them. I don't know what an internal pip would look like, though. I didn't candle any of the eggs until late in the hatch. I would guess that it is a shadow into the air cell region of the egg. If that's the case, then egg A shows signs of internal pipping. Movement is a good sign!

I have one chick whose wing feathers look a little odd. I've searched and read quite a few threads and most seem to say that wing problems for chicks go away as they mature. I thought I would post a picture here for comment. I did also post it on another, old, thread about "angel wing". Authoritative sources seem to say that's not really a problem with chickens, and especially can't tell for young chicks. Anyway...

Wing1.jpg

Also, the incubator smells a little. Is that from the poo, blood & other debris that’s been stuck in the heat for 2 days? None of the eggs that are left smell bad.View attachment 3102066View attachment 3102067View attachment 3102071View attachment 3102072

Hatching smells can definitely be funky.
I don't see internal pips on these 2. The internal pips usually look like a little triangle shadow that you should be able to see moving as they breathe as well.

My initial thoughts are that they may be malpositioned. Once I'm down to stragglers like this is when I step in but a lot of people choose to leave whatever will be, will be, and that's fine too! If you choose to step in just be aware that malpositions are the most difficult assists and the most likely to fail.

One may have already quit, causing the smell too, depends on just how funky of a smell that you're smelling. So if you open the air cell be prepared with something to put it in if it is a stinker.

I use triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever and apply it to the membrane gently with a qtip to make it translucent so I can see what I'm dealing with. The ointment lasts much longer than anything else I've used and doesn't cause the membrane to harden like some oils do.

Back
Top Bottom