Hatch-Along - Setting eggs week of February 8th!! Who's joining me?

I am literally in tears right now.
I filled up my bator with white leghorn eggs. 3 arrived smashed, as you know. 2 rotted, so I only had two left. Then I left for Saturday, came home today (Sunday), and the last eggs are rotten!

I have no more eggs in my incubator.
th.gif

I am going to order some more, and I am praying that I get at least one peep.
bow.gif

Is this a good hatch rate for a first timer: 1 egg died at around 5 days, 4 were infertile, and 8 have hatched with the 9th pipping?

Is this a good hatch rate for a first timer: 1 egg died at around 5 days, 4 were infertile, and 8 have hatched with the 9th pipping?
I would say so, you aren't responsible for infertile eggs, and that day 5 probably wasn't you....On the 9th--i wish her luck!

I think one of my chicks has a slight case of sprattle legs. What should I do? I put the band-aids in her legs and then she stood up right away, but she accidentally fell on her back and couldn't get up. Any advice? I had to take the band-aids off her. She is 7 and 1/2 hours old.

I think one of my chicks has a slight case of sprattle legs. What should I do? I put the band-aids in her legs and then she stood up right away, but she accidentally fell on her back and couldn't get up. Any advice? I had to take the band-aids off her. She is 7 and 1/2 hours old.
I had a spraddle last year and waited too long to rehab her. I would wait one day to put the bandaids on, and I would spend about 2-3 minutes with her on her back in my palm doing gentle leg exercises and in a normal position supporting her spraddled leg in the correct position without the bandaids...perhaps twice a day. But start tomorrow...she's exhausted today.

But what if she falls on her back while I'm not home? She won't be able to get back up.
Maybe do the bandaid for short periods while supervised.

I nicknamed one baby 'Roly Poly' because it kept rolling on its back in the hatcher and struggling to flip over. She's ok now....

My best guess: If she flips, give her some time to try to flip over....she needs to control her body....if she absolutely can't, then assist...but I would see how little a nudge I could give. She should figure out to roll the other way from the leg that's out.

During rehab attempts with my spraddle, I thought I could feel a hip socket displacement....I couldn't fix it, but I tried light pressure holding the thigh in the correct position and strengthening exercises. She could stand on one leg but couldn't really get that bad leg under herself properly....When I brought them out to a temporary outdoor pen I could see the poor dear just wasn't going to do OK in a big adult banty sized coop.... :( I was able to rehab the clubfoot, but had to let my spraddle and crossbeak go. The crossbeak was a sweet cockeral but starving....I tried to help, but in the end he was half the size of his flock....

Last edited:
Maybe do the bandaid for short periods while supervised.

I nicknamed one baby 'Roly Poly' because it kept rolling on its back in the hatcher and struggling to flip over. She's ok now....

My best guess: If she flips, give her some time to try to flip over....she needs to control her body....if she absolutely can't, then assist...but I would see how little a nudge I could give. She should figure out to roll the other way from the leg that's out.

During rehab attempts with my spraddle, I thought I could feel a hip socket displacement....I couldn't fix it, but I tried light pressure holding the thigh in the correct position and strengthening exercises. She could stand on one leg but couldn't really get that bad leg under herself properly....When I brought them out to a temporary outdoor pen I could see the poor dear just wasn't going to do OK in a big adult banty sized coop.... :( I was able to rehab the clubfoot, but had to let my spraddle and crossbeak go. The crossbeak was a sweet cockeral but starving....I tried to help, but in the end he was half the size of his flock....

Thanks! Now I just figured out that my poor chick has a slipped tendon. Any advice on that?

Back
Top Bottom