Hatchlings outdoors

I have searched for information on baby chicks outdoors. Not free ranging, but in the coop with hen, and then in a run. I can separate the brood from the other 6 ladies. So, chicks have thrived in the wild for ....ever..... I live in central Florida and the night temps are about 50 degrees, and daytime 80's, this week. I was given 4 of 10 eggs that a hen laid approximately three weeks ago. I candled them and are mostly dark with the air space visible. If they do hatch, they should do alright with the Foster mom who is totally broody and happy to have the eggs under her! Do I really have to worry? should I give them medicated feed? thanks in advance!

If you can keep broody and chicks from the flock in a predator proof place, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. When giving a broody chicks, always watch them closely for the first few hours to 48 hours after her receiving them. Not all hens are good with chicks and they may attempt to kill them. If your broody proves to be good with them, having a mother hen is an excellent thing. Not only do they reduce the risk of fire by not needing a heat lamp, they will pass all their knowledge on their chicks, allowing the chicks to be more knowledgeable around the barnyard than chickens who were raised without a broody.

For my chicks, I never bothered giving them medicated feed. I think the most important things are to ensure they always have clean water and that their living conditions stay clean.

I have searched for information on baby chicks outdoors.
Searching for "broody hen" might work better. There are even a number of threads about broody hens raising chicks in outdoor coops during below-freezing winter weather (searching for "broody hen in winter" tends to bring them up.) Your temperatures should not pose any problems, assuming the hen does accept the chicks and cares for them normally.

Your chicks will do fine in that weather. In my experience with having chicks in with a flock, the flock mates killed the chicks, so I dont keep broodies and their chicks with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom