Hello! I'm here for the hen party!

Welcome to BYC. When you say "hens that will do well in a coop", do you mean a coop/run combo? All breeds will need sunshine and fresh air, places to scratch, and of course dirt bathing areas.
You will probably want a heavier breed that doesn't care about wandering and enjoys staying near the feed. Brahmas, favorelles, and orpingtons would be a good breed for this situation. Or, you could alternatively get bantam cochins.
A walkin type run with their coop attached or inside, (like a 10x 10 dog kennel with hardware cloth) would allow you to spend time sitting with, and entertaining them.
Thank you so much for your reply!

I have, since posting, acquired a 15'L x 5'W Retriever kennel that I will use as a run. I'm going to build a shed roof over it and make the kennel a hardware cloth fortified sandbox. I have lots of creeping, slithering, flying predators and no cover so the Ladies will have to be content in there until I find a sturdy but not overly-costly tractor and build some chunnels.
I ordered day old chicks I understand to be okay not running free but in an enclosure with a coop attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509_173242_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_173242_Chrome.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 3

I have, since posting, acquired a 15'L x 5'W Retriever kennel that I will use as a run. I'm going to build a shed roof over it and make the kennel a hardware cloth fortified sandbox. I have lots of creeping, slithering, flying predators and no cover so the Ladies will have to be content in there until I find a sturdy but not overly-costly tractor and build some chunnels.
I ordered day old chicks I understand to be okay not running free but in an enclosure with a coop attached.
Nice assortment of breeds you picked! Keep us posted on their arrival! 😊

Before you get them, you'll want to set your brooder up. If I understood, you'll be using a dog cage? You'll need to line the sides with hardware cloth or cardboard because they will just walk right through the bars.
Good luck! I know you will love your new flock!

Before you get them, you'll want to set your brooder up. If I understood, you'll be using a dog cage? You'll need to line the sides with hardware cloth or cardboard because they will just walk right through the bars.
Good luck! I know you will love your new flock!
I had a new washer delivered from Costco and the driver thought I was nuts because I was equally excited about the box it came in. "You see, I'm getting chickens..." I told him. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom