Hello Newbie here!!!!

pirtykitty

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Waco, Texas
Hello every one I'm new to the group... I'm hoping to get a few chickens in the future.. Right now have 3 blk bellied whistling ducks ( who are spoiled rotten)... am hoping hubby wil let me get a few chickens for eggs.. Question: What breeds are the quieties and lay the most eggs, are gentle etc... I'm in central texas

Hi pirtykitty, and welcome to BYC!

I think that most hens are relatively quiet. They do make a bit of noise just before and after they lay an egg. (Roosters, of course, are a whole different story!)

As far as gentle hens, it seems to me that the bigger breeds tend to be more docile. My most gentle hens are my buff orpingtons. They are beautiful, fluffy birds, and they do lay well, unless they are broody. But they are broody often! If you want great egg production, you might want to avoid the breeds that are known to be broodies, such as buff orps.

My best egg layers are probably my sex links, and they are very nice hens. My Easter Eggers lay very well, too, and have the added bonus of laying blue/green eggs.

Heck, I could go on and on, telling you about how each breed I have has it's good points! Silly me! That won't really be helpful to you at all. Have you checked out Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart yet? If not, here's a link:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

It's a great place to start learning about the different breeds. If you click "FS" under the breed name, it will take you to Feathersite, and you can see pictures of the breed. Love the pretty pictures!

Anyway, good luck with your search, and when you find some breeds that seem interesting, you can ask people here what they think of them.

smile.png

You could always ask for an incubtor for Christmas. Well that will probably be next year after you get chicks and raise them this next year Beware, hatching chicken eggs is very addictive. Just ask anyone on here;)

Back
Top Bottom