Help choosing Breeds

StacyE

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2019
Hello, I am new to raising chickens and am really only in the research and planning phase. I would like to find a few breeds that are excellent egg layers but that are really good as pets as well (very friendly and don’t mind being handled). I would really appreciate any input you can give.

Thanks,
Stacy

There are quite a few breeds that fit those specs rather easily. In fact it would be easier to name the ones that don't fit lol. For a few that do, Salmon Faverolles are great birds, good layers and very gentle and docile with beautiful coloring on both males and females. Orpingtons and Australorps are great too if you want a larger breed. Cochins as well, though they may be a bit lazy at times. Its quite a large list, and part of the fun is investigating and narrowing it down, least it was for me.

Buff Orpington has our vote - we have two and they are friendly and GREAT layers. One tip ... make sure you have your coop ready to go before you get chickens. Where are you from? Some breeds are more cold or heat hardy. Good luck and welcome!

Buff Orpington has our vote - we have two and they are friendly and GREAT layers. One tip ... make sure you have your coop ready to go before you get chickens. Where are you from? Some breeds are more cold or heat hardy. Good luck and welcome!

Hi, I am in Florida so it is hot most of the time and very hot in summer.

:frowHi Stacy, welcome to the Forum, and good on you for doing the research before you jump into getting your first flock! "Easter Eggers" is the name of the breed. They are actually a mix of a couple different breeds, including Ameraucanas, and so they - the EEs, lay colored eggs, usually bluish, greenish, olive, or pinkish. Each bird will lay her own particular color. As a breed they are generally calm and readily tamed if you start at hatch. We have about 15 and really like them. We also have Buff Orpingtons which lay brown eggs. They are also a calm, sedate bird, but as mentioned above, tend to be broody, meaning they would rather sit on eggs for 3 weeks to hatch them than to lay an egg a day. Then of course they spend the next several months raising the little hatchlings, so they are still not laying. Then there are the two moults a year when they are not laying either, lol. EEs don't seem to get broody, and they lay well into their old age, at least they have for us. So many reasons we love them! Also, their mottled coloring protects them from predators. And you gotta love the colored eggs! :)

Edited typos, sigh!

Back
Top Bottom