ChknTndr

Chirping
Mar 4, 2019
MS Gulf Coast
Guys & gals (& everything in between)-
I'm struggling over here! I'm new to the chicken (and duck) world and there is SO MUCH information out there! I am very thankful for that, but between all of my obligations I'm finding it hard to find the time to find what I need in all of it.
Our babies are about a week old now. We have 4 barred rock (3 female, 1 male we think), 4 assorted bantams (no clue on sex or breed), and 3 Pekin (we think) ducks (again, no clue on sex). We're trying to build separate houses for the chickens and ducks that will share a 20' x 40' run. There are SO many houses out there (DIY, for purchase, pre-owned) and I'm a bit overwhelmed. What I need from y'all is:
- When should we move the chicks from their brooder box to a coop?
- What size coop is needed to ethically accommodate up to 12 birds? (we already plan to add)
- Is 3-4 hens per nesting box accurate?
- Should we build smaller houses for the chicks and ducks to use until they're full-grown or just put them into the full-size coop when they've outgrown the brooder box?
- What size house is needed to ethically accommodate up to 6 ducks? (again, we plan on adding)
- Is it true that ducks don't need nesting boxes?
- What "must haves" are needed in the coop? What about toys or activities for the run? We plan on including a kiddie pool for the ducks that will (hopefully) be tall enough that the chickens can't get into, but don't know what other items we should include to prevent boredom.
- What are the best (and most frugal) materials to use? We don't mind spending the money, but we also want to get the most bang for our buck!
- Does anyone have experience building their own gravity feeders and/or gravity-style or automatic water supply?
- Any input on using a rain barrel as a water supply? We have well water, but thought rain water might be a more convenient supply.

I know there are a lot of websites and forums out there that cover this. But, I am really just overwhelmed by all of it. Looking to consolidate the information and also hear personal experiences. Or, if you have a recommendation to a book or website that consolidates this information that would be helpful, too! We don't mind trial and error, but we also like to work smarter, not harder! Thanks in advance for the help!

Jan

P.S. I've attached a plan of a design I came up with to accommodate the birds.
The coop is 7'x7' and the duck house is 5'x5'

Attachments

• Bird Stuff.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
6-12 weeks depending on weather and feathering and breed.

- What size coop is needed to ethically accommodate up to 12 birds? (we already plan to add)
A 48sqft coop would be good for your birds, but you may need more or less based on your location and arrangement. If they just sleep in the coop and have a big run and/or are very friendly you can fit in more, if you expect them to spend winters snowed in and refusing to leave the coop or if they are bullies you may need more. You can also fit more small chickens into a space than big ones.

Yeah, that should be fine. Though I may err towards 3 not 4 if I were you.

- Should we build smaller houses for the chicks and ducks to use until they're full-grown or just put them into the full-size coop when they've outgrown the brooder box?
Depends on how big your brooder is. Chicks outgrow brooders fast. I have a brooder in the house, a cage in the garage were I can set up heat still and a coop that's unheated.

- What size house is needed to ethically accommodate up to 6 ducks? (again, we plan on adding)
I don't know a lot about ducks but I believe they need a little more floor space than chickens because they walk and move different. Also they probably won't use a nest box as readily as a chicken will. They're more likely to hide their eggs in general.

- What "must haves" are needed in the coop? What about toys or activities for the run? We plan on including a kiddie pool for the ducks that will (hopefully) be tall enough that the chickens can't get into, but don't know what other items we should include to prevent boredom.
Chickens will benefit from a large rock or cinder block (for nails and beaks), a sandy area for dust bathing and perches at a few heights. Also deep litter is a big hit with my chickens in the pen.

- What are the best (and most frugal) materials to use? We don't mind spending the money, but we also want to get the most bang for our buck!
I use lumber from a hardware store, just pine 2x4s and plywood is fine, and cinder blocks as supports so no wood is touching the ground.
Many people look at reusing pallets and such which is also fine but more work.
Use good hardware. Get complicated latches, good hinges, etc. Don't skimp on securing your doors. Raccoons can open a lot of latches and where there are chickens (in the US at least) there are coons.

- Does anyone have experience building their own gravity feeders and/or gravity-style or automatic water supply?
There's lots of tutorials for these here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/feeders-waterers.26/

- Any input on using a rain barrel as a water supply? We have well water, but thought rain water might be a more convenient supply.
Rain water will consistently have bacteria, parasites, etc. in it, maybe also metals or disease-carrying bird poop etc from where it ran off of. Rain water also contains a lot of nitrites. I would not use rain water. Clean water is very important for maintaining your birds in a healthy way....
Having said that my chickens seem to prefer puddles to their waterers sometimes. :T Which is annoying.

As far as moving chicks from brooder, usually I do mine by 4 weeks, 6 at the most. So time is of the essence.....
DIY waterers, I like nipple waterers, you buy the nipples and install in buckets.

Your plans for 7x7 are good for 12 chickens as long as the nests are not taking up floor space. Either situate them on the outside of the coop as an extension or hang them on an interior wall well above the floor area. I'm not sure of minimum height, I'd guess at least 2 ft. I'm sure someone here can give you info on that.
As for ducks I don't have any so I'm no help at all.

Your plans for 7x7 are good for 12 chickens as long as the nests are not taking up floor space. Either situate them on the outside of the coop as an extension or hang them on an interior wall well above the floor area. I'm not sure of minimum height, I'd guess at least 2 ft. I'm sure someone here can give you info on that.
As for ducks I don't have any so I'm no help at all.

6-12 weeks depending on weather and feathering and breed.

A 48sqft coop would be good for your birds, but you may need more or less based on your location and arrangement. If they just sleep in the coop and have a big run and/or are very friendly you can fit in more, if you expect them to spend winters snowed in and refusing to leave the coop or if they are bullies you may need more. You can also fit more small chickens into a space than big ones.

Yeah, that should be fine. Though I may err towards 3 not 4 if I were you.

Depends on how big your brooder is. Chicks outgrow brooders fast. I have a brooder in the house, a cage in the garage were I can set up heat still and a coop that's unheated.

I don't know a lot about ducks but I believe they need a little more floor space than chickens because they walk and move different. Also they probably won't use a nest box as readily as a chicken will. They're more likely to hide their eggs in general.

Chickens will benefit from a large rock or cinder block (for nails and beaks), a sandy area for dust bathing and perches at a few heights. Also deep litter is a big hit with my chickens in the pen.

I use lumber from a hardware store, just pine 2x4s and plywood is fine, and cinder blocks as supports so no wood is touching the ground.
Many people look at reusing pallets and such which is also fine but more work.
Use good hardware. Get complicated latches, good hinges, etc. Don't skimp on securing your doors. Raccoons can open a lot of latches and where there are chickens (in the US at least) there are coons.

There's lots of tutorials for these here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/feeders-waterers.26/

Rain water will consistently have bacteria, parasites, etc. in it, maybe also metals or disease-carrying bird poop etc from where it ran off of. Rain water also contains a lot of nitrites. I would not use rain water. Clean water is very important for maintaining your birds in a healthy way....
Having said that my chickens seem to prefer puddles to their waterers sometimes. :T Which is annoying.
Thank you SO much! That was FAST!! And super helpful!!!!

Thank you SO much! That was FAST!! And super helpful!!!!

No problem! :thumbsup
There's a lot of info out there. The question "when do I move out chicks" could make an entire article on it's own, so these are just generalizations. So don't think these are hard and fast rules, but these are probably good jumping off points.
Ask 100 chicken keepers the same question and you will got 200 answers. But there are some guidelines that we've all learned over the years (like 4sqft/bird in coop, 10 in the run, feed a complete diet, chicks feather out around 6-8 weeks, see-don't-touch integration, 30 days quarantine, etc etc) that are great reference points for building your own systems.

What size coop is needed to ethically accommodate up to 12 birds? (we already plan to add)
The whole 4sqft thing is a minimum IMO.
Depends on your climate and how well protected your run is.
But going with a bigger coop is never a mistake.

Welcome to BYC!!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-8_10-23-14.png

When fully feather and/or don't need supplemental heat.

What size coop is needed to ethically accommodate up to 12 birds?
12 chickens x 4 sg ft = 48 sq ft minimum.

I have 2 nesting boxes for 8 hens. Rarely do I find an egg in the second nesting box.

What "must haves" are needed in the coop?
A draft free place to roost. Nesting boxes.

What are the best (and most frugal) materials to use?
Plywood, 2x4, screws (not nails) and 19 gauge 1/2" hardware cloth attached with pan washers and screws.[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom