Help! I think my new chicken is not feeling well

I just checked and it feels squishy
Great advice, as always, given to you by Eggcessive. Definitely check her crop again in the morning and see if it is flat.

I haven’t dealt with many crop issues myself, (if that’s what you’re dealing with even) and they can be a little tricky sometimes to diagnosis. Thank goodness there are others here with a little better advice and experience to help guide!

Also, though, have you given her a really thorough check for mites and lice?

Last edited:
Since she is 3 months, if she seems like she might have coccidiosis, with symptoms of lethargy, runny poops, not eating, and standing around puffed up or hunched, I would start some Corid (amprollium,) from the feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water with the liquid, or use 1.5 tsp per gallon with the powder, for 5 days.

Since she is 3 months, if she seems like she might have coccidiosis, with symptoms of lethargy, runny poops, not eating, and standing around puffed up or hunched, I would start some Corid (amprollium,) from the feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water with the liquid, or use 1.5 tsp per gallon with the powder, for 5 days.
Good idea. I didn’t think of Coccidiosis because the poop wasn’t bloody, but I have the medicine so I’ll start it tomorrow :) thank you!

The crop should be normally empty in the morning, and gradually fill up with food and water by bedtime in the evening. If it is full in the morning, tell us if it is soft and mushy or hard, or dough-like. Crop problems can be from different causes. Coccidiosis may sometimes cause a puffy or slow to empty crop.

The crop should be normally empty in the morning, and gradually fill up with food and water by bedtime in the evening. If it is full in the morning, tell us if it is soft and mushy or hard, or dough-like. Crop problems can be from different causes. Coccidiosis may sometimes cause a puffy or slow to empty crop.
Thank you! I’ll post here in the morning. I’ll also start treating her for coccidiosis :/ poor baby

Thank you for your reply.

She’s been separated from my other chickens. She’s about 3 months old - her crop seems normal, and she came from a well trusted farm here in California. I am surprised they didn’t catch before giving her to me that she wasn’t feeling well. Yesterday she seems shy, but pretty normal :/
I'm not a big believer in vinegar. I'm kinda "if they don't eat it in the wild" person ... vinegar actually changes a human's ph balance, and a chicken's digestive system is vastly different and far simpler than ours. I can't imagine it would help in any way and likely be harmful. Having studied homeopathy and chemical herbalism for 7 years now, i definitely always tell people to stop drinking that right now!! lol. I know there are varied schools of thought but I've never done any testing where it was beneficial. (Yes. Microscope and distillery, agar petri dishes to blood culture - the whole enchilada)
The pallor sounds like lack of circulation or blood loss like an internal bleed. If you could get her up and moving and see if her color improves? Is the inside of her throat pale? She's eating grass (or greenery) and has loose greenish feces? If she's having trouble digesting (green food then green feces) the problem may be digestive, sour crop or the like. Chickens will peck and accidentally swallow wierd things. Perhaps some medicated chick feed and no other foods until her feces normalize?
Push water with electrolytes and boiled rice with its liquid. Add a half cup of rice to two cups water, boil into liquid. Give at least 4 tbspns daily. Add 2 tbspns fresh super-washed corn for energy if she gets too lethargic to eat and drink on her own. Boil that in the rice mix above, also to mush.
Any other info or pics? Poop pics are good. There are folks in this site who have years more experience and helped me save some bantams last year! So every picture helps.
Poor thing. I'm sorry!

I'm not a big believer in vinegar. I'm kinda "if they don't eat it in the wild" person ... vinegar actually changes a human's ph balance, and a chicken's digestive system is vastly different and far simpler than ours. I can't imagine it would help in any way and likely be harmful. Having studied homeopathy and chemical herbalism for 7 years now, i definitely always tell people to stop drinking that right now!! lol. I know there are varied schools of thought but I've never done any testing where it was beneficial. (Yes. Microscope and distillery, agar petri dishes to blood culture - the whole enchilada)
The pallor sounds like lack of circulation or blood loss like an internal bleed. If you could get her up and moving and see if her color improves? Is the inside of her throat pale? She's eating grass (or greenery) and has loose greenish feces? If she's having trouble digesting (green food then green feces) the problem may be digestive, sour crop or the like. Chickens will peck and accidentally swallow wierd things. Perhaps some medicated chick feed and no other foods until her feces normalize?
Push water with electrolytes and boiled rice with its liquid. Add a half cup of rice to two cups water, boil into liquid. Give at least 4 tbspns daily. Add 2 tbspns fresh super-washed corn for energy if she gets too lethargic to eat and drink on her own. Boil that in the rice mix above, also to mush.
Any other info or pics? Poop pics are good. There are folks in this site who have years more experience and helped me save some bantams last year! So every picture helps.
Poor thing. I'm sorry!
Interesting about the vinegar, I always read that it was beneficial but I don’t add it all the time. Thank you for the info on that. I appreciate it. I posted a picture of her poop, it looks very liquid like. She’s been drinking a lot of water and I have medicated food as well. I’ll probably have to choose either the food or the one I can mix in the water though. Hopefully she’ll be better soon. Fingers crossed!

She’s been laying down the whole time and barely walking. I thought she was an albino chick, but now I think her comb is just pale :/
At 3 months her comb is going to be pale. Looks like a Buff Orpington and if she is, she will be pale along with white skin and legs. Once she matures and comes into lay, her comb and wattles will redden up, sometimes the facial tissue around the eyes will pink up some too, really depends on the breeding/line.

I agree, I'd treat for Coccidiosis and deworm too. These can be done at the same time since the Corid goes in the water and the Safeguard or Valbazen is given orally.

Check her poop again, it's hard to tell in the photo if that's a roundworm or perhaps just a piece of stick or debris.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
----OR----
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

1714099352723.jpeg

Interesting about the vinegar, I always read that it was beneficial but I don’t add it all the time. Thank you for the info on that. I appreciate it. I posted a picture of her poop, it looks very liquid like. She’s been drinking a lot of water and I have medicated food as well. I’ll probably have to choose either the food or the one I can mix in the water though. Hopefully she’ll be better soon. Fingers crossed!
I hope so. I kinda wish they could talk, it would be so much easier when they felt poorly! Good luck!

Could she be wormy?

Back
Top Bottom