Help! I think my new chicken is not feeling well

Lujangut

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2023
Hi all,

I’ve just got a new chicken about 2 days ago, and she’s acting a little weird. She’s been laying down the whole time and barely walking. I thought she was an albino chick, but now I think her comb is just pale :/
I’ve been noticing that her poop is very watery and green. She’s been eating the chicken feed, grass and drinking water with a spoon of apple cider vinegar in it.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thank you!
——————-

Just a little update - this morning her chest was flat and not squishy anymore. I’ve started Corid 🙏🏼

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Aw I’m sorry about your chicken. Poor girl. Did you rescue her? If you have a flock I do hope you’re keeping her separated from them for a quarantine before introducing them.

Calling on the experts for advice, @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
How is her crop? When did she last lay?

Also how old is she would you say?

Aw I’m sorry about your chicken. Poor girl. Did you rescue her? If you have a flock I do hope you’re keeping her separated from them for a quarantine before introducing them.

Calling on the experts for advice, @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
How is her crop? When did she last lay?

Also how old is she would you say?
Thank you for your reply.

She’s been separated from my other chickens. She’s about 3 months old - her crop seems normal, and she came from a well trusted farm here in California. I am surprised they didn’t catch before giving her to me that she wasn’t feeling well. Yesterday she seems shy, but pretty normal :/

Thank you for your reply.
She’s been separated from my other chickens. She’s about 3 months old - her crop seems normal
Is her crop empty and flat when she wakes up in the morning, have you noticed? Does it currently feel squishy like a water balloon or hard?

Have you noticed any nasal or eye discharge? Have you checked her mouth for lesions?

What is her story of how she came to be yours?

Is there any food in her crop tonight? How does it feel—empty and flat, full, firm, doughy or squishy? Recheck it again in the morning before she has any food or water. Did you get other birds from the seller? Do they seem okay? How did it seem like they were kept previously? It is pretty good to keep them in quarantine for a month to look them over for lice, mites on their skin, for runny or abnormal poops, to make sure they are eating and drinking, to check their crop function, and to worm them if necessary. Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer are good for worming . I can give dosages. Depending on how long she was caged before transporting, if she became dehydrated, or maybe wasn’t used to the feed, I would watch her. Offer fluids or electrolytes, sugar water, and offer mushy wet chicken feed and some egg.

Is her crop empty and flat when she wakes up in the morning, have you noticed? Does it currently feel squishy like a water balloon or hard?

Have you noticed any nasal or eye discharge? Have you checked her mouth for lesions?

I’ll check her crop now. I’ve been holding her here and there and didn’t noticed anything strange in terms of hardness or squishiness.

No nasal discharge or mouth lesions.
She was born in a farm in Santa Barbara - I’ve bought chickens from them before. They usually vaccinate them when they’re born and sex them. One of the chickens I’ve got from there was hermaphrodite so they swapped her for me - that’s how she got to our home, she’s the replacement for my hen/rooster

I’ll check her crop now. I’ve been holding her here and there and didn’t noticed anything strange in terms of hardness or squishiness.

No nasal discharge or mouth lesions.
She was born in a farm in Santa Barbara - I’ve bought chickens from them before. They usually vaccinate them when they’re born and sex them. One of the chickens I’ve got from there was hermaphrodite so they swapped her for me - that’s how she got to our home, she’s the replacement for my hen/rooster

I just checked and it feels squishy

Is there any food in her crop tonight? How does it feel—empty and flat, full, firm, doughy or squishy? Recheck it again in the morning before she has any food or water. Did you get other birds from the seller? Do they seem okay? How did it seem like they were kept previously? It is pretty good to keep them in quarantine for a month to look them over for lice, mites on their skin, for runny or abnormal poops, to make sure they are eating and drinking, to check their crop function, and to worm them if necessary. Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer are good for worming . I can give dosages. Depending on how long she was caged before transporting, if she became dehydrated, or maybe wasn’t used to the feed, I would watch her. Offer fluids or electrolytes, sugar water, and offer mushy wet chicken feed and some egg.
Thank you for all the tips - I’ll get the safeguard- that’s a good idea.
Her crop feels squishy. I left water and food in the coop with her but I’ll take it Away so I can check in the morning. Is it supposed to be flat? What does it mean if it’s squishy or hard? Sorry - super new to this. I only got her this time around so she’s in quarantine all by herself but in eyesight of the other chickens I have

Back
Top Bottom