Help, She's Crowing & won't lay eggs anymore!!!

suzezoo

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hi! This is my 1st post! ANY suggestions are welcome!!

My almost 2 yr old Buff Orpington was laying last year, Stopped to moult & decided to start crowing in February. She started laying in March, for the season, but only laid 2 eggs & they where both soft shelled. She hasn't laid any since!!

I've tried separating her from the others 3 days, to reintroduce her. Thinking of she wasn't too hen she wouldn't crow. Worked 3 days...

I've tried putting our decoy plastic rooster by the run, hoping she wouldn't feel the need to crow with him there. Worked 2 days...

I'm feeding her layer food, plenty of oyster shell & grit, water, they get treats of meal worms on occasion also, but still no eggs! I know she's a female, I know her eggs from the others bcs we only have 3 hens & they each lay a different color. (She's a Buff Orp & we have a Black Astrolarp & a Easter egger).

Thank you for any help!!! 🙏🏻

Could she be undergoing a gender transition? Very rarely they can change their gender. Is her tail starting to look rooster like? Is she growing long spurs?

Could she be undergoing a gender transition? Very rarely they can change their gender. Is her tail starting to look rooster like? Is she growing long spurs?
No. I've read a little about that, but don't see any of those signs.

Also if shey is turning rooster she will gain about 2lbs
Not gaining or loosing weight. She does eat, although is more interested in watching over the other 2 hens. Her crop feels small/light throughout the day & even in the evenings once she's on perch it feels medium sized. Which was normal for her during winter, but last year (her 1st summer laying) her crop would be very large & fairly heavy toward evening. I had them on higher protein feed in winter & switched back to layer feed about 9 weeks ago. The other 2 are already settled into their laying patterns for the season. A few times I have caught her near them watching closely while they lay eggs. I don't know what else to do to get her to lay again!

When a hens ovary is damage or they suffer some form of hormone imbalance they dont turn into roosters, they remain hens. the lack of estrogen produced from a faulty/damaged reproductive system and imcrease of testosterone can cause them to crow, and in some cases grow larger combs, wattles and spurs but the plumage typically isnt affected.

Some hens will crow even while laying eggs, but in your case is seems she may have something going in with her reproductive system somewhere

When a hens ovary is damage or they suffer some form of hormone imbalance they dont turn into roosters, they remain hens. the lack of estrogen produced from a faulty/damaged reproductive system and imcrease of testosterone can cause them to crow, and in some cases grow larger combs, wattles and spurs but the plumage typically isnt affected.

Some hens will crow even while laying eggs, but in your case is seems she may have something going in with her reproductive system somewhere
Ok, Thank you 🙏🏻 Anything I can do to rebalance her hormones or increase estrogen levels?

They can mostly turn into roosters. Maybe not fully but enough that they are more rooster than hen. They are still hens though

They can mostly turn into roosters. Maybe not fully but enough that they are more rooster than hen. They are still hens though
Oh Boy..I live in the city & not allowed to have a roo. And hu;by says 3 birds max. Anyway to increase her estrogen levels so she'll lay again? I've heard seaweed (kelp) powder. I started feeding her that today. Anything else I can try?🙏🏻Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom