cdampier

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2018
Hi All ~
I'm new to raising chickens, so I've got a conundrum I need help with from veteran chicken people.

I picked out 6 chicks in April, straight run, and ... all 6 are roosters! Pretty disappointing. So, my birds are going on 4 months old. I want chickens primarily for eggs ~ I don't eat meat, and I never really liked the taste of chicken. Anyway, on to my questions ...

The alpha rooster is starting to get very mean, to both me and the other birds (he gives the other roosters a hard time getting into the coop at night; they won't come out of the coop/run until he has left; if I try to chase him out, he comes after me), so I know he's got to go. I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

First question: How old does a bird have to be to butchered? Or is there a weight requirement? (While I may not want to eat them, I have friends and family who could use some free protein.)

Follow up questions: The friends I got the chicks from have some older laying hens who are being mean to their pullets and have suggested I take their old layers (since I don't have anyone about to produce me an egg!). I am thinking of taking in the older hens. So, do I keep one of my roosters, say one of the nicer ones, so that when the new hens come they've got a rooster to keep them "in line"? Or has the alpha rooster (who for sure is not staying on the homestead) "ruined" the other cockerels? Would a non-dominant rooster change after getting rid of the bully? Would the "mean" hens just do the same to a non-dominant rooster ~ become bullies (assuming the non alpha rooster doesn't become more dominant)?

OR, should I wipe the slate clean and just bring in my friends' layers (with the expectation that I will want to pick up one or two more hens at some point in the future?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

No weight limit on roosters just do it when you want. As for keeping one the old hens won't ruin him they will only teach him manners. He isn't already ruined either so don't worry.I can't say if he will change,like people if he's nice or if he's a butt that is already decided and only he can tell you. Just pick your favoriate and go from there.:)

Many people butcher their cockerels at about four months of age, or a little older, just to have meat that's less chewy. Any bird in the crockpot will taste great, though, so it's not necessary to worry about age particularly.
The new hens will come from the same flock, so unless they are adding birds from elsewhere this summer, you have what you have from that flock.
If you want instant hens, some of theirs might work out for you. Hopefully they will be only one or two years old, because egg productions drops off as they get older. Having a retirement home for them isn't a bad thing, as long as that's what you are willing to do.
One cockerel might be nice to keep; someone with absolutely not evil thoughts directed at you! Or keep two, and then have a fall-back bird if one fails to work out.
Lots of space, separate feeders and waterers, and places to shelter behind, will make transitions better.
Mary

I would recommend getting rid of all of the roosters. Let them go and don't ask questions. They can be processed now, and will make very tasty soup. They will not taste or have the texture of KFC.

I think you learn a lot that first year with chickens, so an all hen flock is nice to start with. As these are a bit older hens, they are very probable close to the end of their laying and life span. So you are apt to have some die on you, but of course that is when you get to get new chicks and the cycle continues.

Next year, when you add chicks, hopefully one of those is a rooster, and if you have the space and the wish, well you can try the next aspect of hens and chicks. There are lots of fun things to do with this hobby, don't have to do it all at once.

I try and keep a flock, birds go into it and come out of it.

Mrs K

Since you seem to have no problem with having roosters as you plan to maybe keep one, then by all means just keep all the roosters and only butcher the bully and see how that works out when you introduce the laying hens. You can always butcher any other roosters later on that you deem unfit for the flock.

When you get rid of the bully cockerel the behavior of the others may change. Right now he is top of the flock; when he leaves they will likely fight for the position. The intensity of the fighting will depend on their personalities and how stable the current pecking order is. It might just be a little chest bumping or is might be more violent. You'll never know until the bully is gone.

If you really want to keep one, I suggest getting rid of the bully first. Then whittle it down to your keeper as you get to know their personalities. Cull any that show behavior you don't like/want. Unless your friend has a lot of hens for you I think it's best just to keep one cockerel. You want your chicken keeping to be fun. Dealing with fighting cockerels or over-mated/stressed hens is not fun.

I think cockerels raised among assertive older hens tend to be a bit more polite. It's good for them to be a little henpecked. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom