Help tylan 50

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
Hey all,I have a sick silkie hen. After research I've decided to try tylan 50 injectible. My poor silkie is so thin she has no breast muscle to inject. I read some people use the back of the neck. Will this still be effective? Also I have to use a diabetic needle. How do I figure out dosage in units? If anyone knows it would be much appreciated. This is our last ditch effort to save her.. Tried everything else..

You can also give the Tylan 50 orally. For a silkie, I would give 1/2 ml orally twice a day. If you inject it under her skin, just use 1/4 ml. Tylan is pretty thick, and hard to go through a 22 gauge needle, so the diabetic needle might be difficult. Most feed stores sell syringes will needles, but in some states they don't. What is the matter with your hen?

You can also give the Tylan 50 orally. For a silkie, I would give 1/2 ml orally twice a day. If you inject it under her skin, just use 1/4 ml. Tylan is pretty thick, and hard to go through a 22 gauge needle, so the diabetic needle might be difficult. Most feed stores sell syringes will needles, but in some states they don't. What is the matter with your hen?

She has been been acting lathargic. Still mopes around but seemed to have not much energy. Started noticing lime green poops. Looked it up and saw it can mean starvation. Checked her out more thoroughly and she was as thin as a rail. Didn't notice through all her fluff. Brought jer in the house and have given her poultry cell in her water. She doesn't want to eat but I'm making her as much as I can. Other then not eating and the poop she was acting normal. Not as energetic but didn't seem respiratory and doesn't look like cocci at all. I've worked her and treated her for pultry lice with ivermevtin. I'm at a loss. Found a thread on here with people having the same symptoms. They tried the tylan 50 and it worked. Figured I'd try it. I prefer thebshots though. I'm terrified of syringe feeding..

Just give a drop or two at a time and let her swallow. You can also give the Poultry Cell orally 1 ml daily, which is more economical. Offer her some chopped egg or bits of tuna or liver to eat. Sometimes adding water to a small cup of feed will get them to eat better. If you have a local vet who will do a fecal float on her fresh droppings, you could rule out worms and cocci.

Just give a drop or two at a time and let her swallow. You can also give the Poultry Cell orally 1 ml daily, which is more economical. Offer her some chopped egg or bits of tuna or liver to eat. Sometimes adding water to a small cup of feed will get them to eat better. If you have a local vet who will do a fecal float on her fresh droppings, you could rule out worms and cocci. 

Could be worms. I'm pretty sure not cocci. We have suffered through that before. I have corid but I'm almost positive that's not it. She is not laying yet. We have one vet that sees small livestock but last time I went they charged me an arm and a leg then told me to just keep giving them the meds I was already using. They are all about the money there with minimal effort. It would probably be cheaper to just send in my own sample online. I saw others giving the shot in the back of the neck just under the skin. Is that not recommended? Really don't feel comfortable syringe feeding. I had a chick aspirate that way and I'm seriously scarred for life..

Tylan 50 is mainly for giving into the muscle. But many have used it orally and under the skin (subcutaneously) as well, especially in small chicks and bantams who don't have much breast tissue for injections. I would give it however you prefer, especially since you don't want to give it orally. To give it under the skin in the back of the neck, pinch the skin and insert the needle a 1/4 inch at a 45 degree angle. Do you think that she could be weak from being kept from food and water by higher ranking chickens? My 2 silkies were always to lowest in pecking order, and they can be bullied easily. Also check to see if she might be going broody. You could check her crop to see if it is empty or possibly has an impaction or sour. A finger inserted into her vent an inch can check for a stuck egg.I like to offer a teaspoonful or less of plain yogurt twice a week for some probiotics as well.

Last edited:
Tylan 50 is mainly for giving into the muscle. But many have used it orally and under the skin (subcutaneously) as well, especially in small chicks and bantams who don't have much breast tissue for injections. I would give it however you prefer, especially since you don't want to give it orally. Do you think that she could be weak from being kept from food and water by higher ranking chickens? My 2 silkies were always to lowest in pecking order, and they can be bullied easily. Also check to see if she might be going broody. You could check her crop to see if it is empty or possibly has an impaction or sour. A finger inserted into her vent an inch can check for a stuck egg.I like to offer a teaspoonful or less of plain yogurt twice a week for some probiotics as well.

It is definitely possible. We have a buff orpington whonis our only standard. She has always got along with the silkies so never had an issue keeping her. Recently I noticed her bullying our broody silkie and none of the low ranking silkies will eat around her now. It makes me sad cause she is a favorite but we just keep silkies so I'm thinking I may need to rehome her.
1f622.png

Quite right, I didn't even think about it being too thick to pass through the needle.

I have mixed medicine in a tiny amount of a treat such as egg or yogurt. If I know they will eat it, I use a few bread crumbs, raw egg, and yogurt mixed to hide the taste.
She just pooped finally and it's getting thicker. Before it was lime green and like water. Here it is now. I think better?
It looks like she is still not eating enough due to the green color. Hopefully she will eat more today.

Back
Top Bottom