Help! What killed my 3 chickens in daylight within 20 mins?? I’m so devastated.

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
Please help me! I am so saddened and
Guilt ridden after losing 3 young chickens yesterday in daylight. Vanished almost without a trace. I found only small amount of feathers - one near coop and one down our hill about 300 feet. No sign of 3rd one. We live in rural Massachusetts. I am Devastated. I loved them so much. It’s my fault because I left them outside alone for 20 mins when I am always outside with them monitoring their out of coop free range time. What got them? Do I keep searching for the 3rd one? Is she lost due to panic? What animal gets 3 birds in such a short time during the day? Heartbreaking for me.

It may have been 3 fox group. They are daytime hunters. Cayotes also will grab during daytime, as well as bobcats. Bobcats are usually not in groups of 3.
:hugsSorry to hear of your loss. :(

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

Welcome!
And I'm so sorry for your losses, a very sad day for you. Possibly your third bird is hiding and will come out today. Hope so!
Free ranging is always a risk, and being out there with them often doesn't protect anyway. We've lost multiple birds at once, during the day. Usually it's a canine of some sort; fox, dog, whoever.
Have a coop and run that's big enough and predator proof, so your birds are safe when they can't be outside.
Again, I'm so sorry.
Mary

Sorry for your loss, it has to be so hard to lose any animal in such a short time.

I would suggest keeping them in a secure run/coop combo as it is likely the predator (s) will be back for another meal.

As someone else has suggested I suspect this may have been a pair of foxes with kits or maybe coyotes. We keep our chickens up or behind an electric fences here.Sorry for your loss!

If you found feathers quite a distance away, I'm going with fox or coyotes. Most raptors won't cary off a chicken. They feed on spot or very close by and regurgitate to feed their young.

Welcome!
And I'm so sorry for your losses, a very sad day for you. Possibly your third bird is hiding and will come out today. Hope so!
Free ranging is always a risk, and being out there with them often doesn't protect anyway. We've lost multiple birds at once, during the day. Usually it's a canine of some sort; fox, dog, whoever.
Have a coop and run that's big enough and predator proof, so your birds are safe when they can't be outside.
Again, I'm so sorry.
Mary
Thank you, Mary.

Back
Top Bottom