Help with a Farm name!

Quote:
Absolutely!

We have numerous "farmers Markets" in our area. There is a large percentage of the farmers that sell at this that are growing their crops on less than 10 acres. There are several that grow smaller items like the cut flowers for decoration that are on less than one acre.

To me, it is just a mindset. I do consider my 12 acres a farm, and if I had only 2 acres, it may change what I do and how I do it, but I would probly still consider it a farm.

But then again, these are just my thoughts and feelings. Like I said before, I don't think there are hard fast rules on what we call them. It seems to me that folks that have been raised around the larger expanses of land in "real farm country" will tend to think a farm is going to be 100 acres or more, where as someone raised in the middle of Chicago, may consider a farm to be an acre or more.

As long as we are content with what we have, and it serves our purpose, then I think we should be able to call it whatever we want.

I went with:

RUNAMUCK CHICKEN FARM. Sorry, I have the name on BYC already taken.

I do like the Sunrise Farms thing. It reminds me that I have to let the chicken out !!
yippiechickie.gif

According to the definition of the meaning of farms that I looked up online, it has nothing at all to do with the amount of land you have. It has only to do with what you do on it.
If you raise only vegetables(nevermind animals) to eat or sell, according to the USDA and the IRS you can be considered a farm.
Farming is what you are doing on your property and any size property therefor qualifies as a farm.
You could have a 1/2 acre or less and still have a farm.
I imagine some people on this site who raise, goats and chickens and grow fruits and vegetables in their backyards can consider it a farm if they so choose, no matter the size.

we named ours waterfront farms . we have 15 acres and raise barred rocks, ameraucanas and cubalayas. we also grow shiitake mushrooms, have a greenhouse and sell akc beagles. good luck with your farm.

I'm very original...what about just your last name and then the title Farm.

I know of a farm up around Valley Springs that has a farm called
"Wit's End" ....
tongue.png

No one ever pronounces our last name right, so that wouldn't work. I like Wit's End!! lol I thought about Double D or Triple D, but would be embarrassed when people asked where the name came from and I had to admit my bra size!! LOL

since you live in nc. use a warm weather or wide range strain of shiitake. i have heard of growers using sweet gum trees in nc. but i will stick to oak only.

Back
Top Bottom